Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter carb covers, heat housings etc

SmilinSam

I'm familiar with the shield or diverter plate made for the 7000 series tractor to provide heat and protection from the elements to the carb, as I have one hanging off the wall. However, What is, or was available for the 900 series single cylinder tractors and the older stuff like my 2012 Hybrid?

I've never seen one for the 900's yet. There was one made for the FDT's.

These were the only pics I had handy. It only works with the factory type nelson mufflers.

Looking through the items I have saved for reference, here are some pictures that are probably on this site someplace. With due respect to the original posters, here they are. These should cover the 2012.

Here are some pics of a homemade heat shield on a 900 series.

On edit - I see Chris already posted pics of the factory FDT shield while I was pecking away here. I think it might have been Ray that posted a drawing for making your own with the bend and cut lines laid out.

You're going to make me dig through pictures aren't you Sam? ..lol..This is a heat deflector for the model 19 found on the 700/725/B-1. I slightly modified it to work on a cast iron 8hp that's on my Squire. Works excellent at keeping the carb toasty warm.
[img]/club2/attach/ZippoVarga/HeatShield.jpg[/img]
The right side has a half moon cut out that slips around the exhaust and for it to effectively blow hot/warm air over the carb, you have to fabricate a top shield if your particular engine doesn't have one. If I think about it, I will snap a couple better pictures of the shield and mocked up top shield that helps rout the hot/warm air around the engine to the carb. I remember a couple years back, there were discussions about the different modifications members came up with to help keep the carb from freezing up. Everything from hacked up aluminum cans to similar heat shields like the stock one shown here.

on the Sovereigns that I had. I put a rubber backed rug over the hood and down past the frame on both sides. kept motor, carb,and cables dry and warm. it even let a little warm air in cab, rather than cold air and snow. It did not heat the cab. when i brought tractor inside, I took rug off hood to let everything dry off

My 917 didn't have any problems performing in the cold, with the kt-17. However, with the 16 briggs (soon to be complete), the carb is hanging out on the side. Should I expect problems? It can be -20 with a 20 mph wind, in these parts.

I think I may fab one up based on the picture of the b-112 and the line drawing shown above. I have a pepper pot muffler on the briggs, so it should work similarly. A local newspaper still sold sheets of thin gauge aluminum the last I checked (cheaply) - that should work very well for this application.

Here's a pic of the Command CH18 Anti Icing Baffle:

It's Kohler Kit 54 755 06-S. It blocks off the two fan side air inlet ports in the air cleaner base. The air cleaner then draws air from the "exhaust" side of the engine.

Come to think of it after seeing all these ideas and walking around my shop looking for more ideas, I remeber now that I did make one for the T-16 Homelite ACversion I had. I used and extra air cleaner cover and cut off another briggs engine shroud just above the opening for the flywheel fan. Then I welded that section to the air cleaner so when installed on the carb the tine hung down and covered the carb. Lost all my pictures though of that.sm00 I will try to work on this this weekend. May try the same ides with the 900 series and see what happens.

I also have never needed a carb cover. Maine tends to get heavy wet snow and I still don't have any trouble. I do let the motor run for several minutes while I clean the snow off before shutting it down. The tractor lives in an unheated garage yet I still have no trouble. Rick.........

quote:
Originally posted by Architectdave
This is so interesting, Ive never needed one of these as my carbs have never frozen up.....
I have been having problems with iced up and frozen cables. The worst problem is when the ice builds up around the throtte shaft and it sticks while the governor is pulling. Then when you lety up on the load the shaft stays put and it over revs.:O Would rather engineer a cover rather than replace a blown engineB)XX(

Cant say Ive ever seen snow or ice form anywhere near the engine on my tractors either, they get wet and the snow blows in there but it melts quick.... of course now that I've said this I've jinxed myself.

Dave, At least if it happens to me this winter I know who to blame. :O I think the key is cleaning the snow off the tractor and allowing it to run for several minutes after I am done blowing snow before I shut it off. Rick.........

Look at what jumped out at me while looking around the shop for ideas for a 900 series Kohler single winter carb cover!!
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/More%20stuff/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/More%20stuff/Picture011-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/More%20stuff/Picture012.jpg[/img]

AH the dreaded red x After seeing all the designs, I still like my idea of using rug once I was inside, the rug was easily removed, the motor never had moisture on it and i never had problems with rug or motor gettin too hot reminded me of wind breakers on farm tractors
  • Like 1

where did red x go, i know i,m a slow typist, imagine my face when i made it back to posting and a green tracor and an effective cover on it