Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmhusby

Question for the Sunstar Experts.

jmhusby
Was trying to install the snowblower on our Agco Allis and we can't get the yoke to slide over the shaft on the tractor. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong or are there different sizes. Tried the one off the 48" mower deck and that won't slide on either. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?ngr2ngr2

yukon
im assuming its a sunstar check the splines and the yoke for dirt and rust take a wire brush and clean them then spray it with wd40 and check for burrs.:D

comet66
You might also want to check the locking balls on the yoke as they tend to get stuck sometimes from dirt/rust. A little WD will help that as well.

jmhusby
We have cleaned the splines and filed off any burrs if there were any. The strange thing is that the shafts will not go on the mower side either but no one can tell us if any other shafts were used. The 60" mower deck that I sold was on this tractor and it was mounted on an older Deutz Allis with no problems. The more I work at it the more puzzled I become.

acfarmer
Will they go on the mower side of the shaft?If so its the right shaft. Take some emery cloth and work on the end of the shaft to get the paint and whatever off also a very small burr or imperfection like hitting the shaft while using the tractor will cause it not to go.If all else fails take a grinder and knock off just a little of the top of the splines on the very end of the shaft to give it a starting point.

jmhusby
No, they won't fit either side and I filed the splines to be sure there are no burrs. The balls are loose also. Want to find another Sunstar in the area and try the shafts to eliminate any problem with those.

CarlH
The splined shaft is 1" diameter with 15 splines. The center area of the shaft is larger diameter. Surplus Center has various 1" diameter splined shafts.

jmhusby
I need to get a micrometer to check the diameter of the shaft. The tractor was purchased from a Church who needed a bigger faster mower and the person who handled the sale for the church said the tractor was tuned up by a repair shop and donated to the church. Is it possible he could have replaced the Simplicity shaft with a slightly larger different brand?

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by jmhusby
The strange thing is that the shafts will not go on the mower side either but no one can tell us if any other shafts were used.
Assuming you've counted the splines on both pieces. The only other Sunstar shaft I'm aware of is for the rear 2000 rpm PTO. If your won't fit at either end, it must not be the correct shaft. The front PTO is the same size on both ends, so if the mower shaft doesn't fit either end? There was a 560 PTO adaptor for the front of the Sunstar but they are pretty rare. I've never seen one, just read about them. Maybe if we could see a picture we could be of more help.

jmhusby
The shaft will start maybe 3/16 of an inch and won't budge any further. The tractor shaft has 15 splines. Like I said it had a 60" deck on it when I got it but we are going or at least intend to use a 48" deck. Unfortunately its about 150 miles from here but would sure like to see the difference in the collars one that one compared to the one thats on the blower. thanks.

acfarmer
Just for the record the rear PTO on the Sunstar runs engine speed not 2000RPM. Also have you tried ribbing out the recesses in the splines on the shaft

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
Just for the record the rear PTO on the Sunstar runs engine speed not 2000RPM. Also have you tried ribbing out the recesses in the splines on the shaft
Unless you have the 2000 rpm PTO. Mfg. #1691010 I believe.

jmhusby
Has anyone replaced the shaft on the tractor? Is it a real big job? Would think Simplicity wouldn't have two different size shafts and apparently they aren't common to the dealers. Have several that are in the area but haven't been much help for me but again it wasn't a Simplicity dealer that tuned the tractor up so he could have replced the shaft parts on tractor and mower with things he had on hand. Thanks.

CarlH
You take the PTO assembly off the tractor (2 bolts hold it on). Then a couple of snap rings to get the shaft/bearings out. Not a bad job at all.

acfarmer
I have 8 Sunstars that run the from the early to late models and they all have the same size shaft and have never seen a mower deck shaft from any Sunstar that wouldn't fit any of them.Sounds like you have a shaft from another brand possibilities would be Massey,Bolens and I think the Ariens shaft splines will interchange with the Sunstar.Have you tried taking your shaft to a dealer and see if it fits their new shafts?

jmhusby
The neighbor has a micrometer and we checked the size of the shaft on the tractor and it is an inch. Put the points inside the collar and it says an inch so not sure of anything now. Son is taking both stub shafts to a dealer in Woodville to check them out on a new shaft to see if they fit. Maybe this will eliminate one or the other. Will report back any progress.

jmhusby
Update---took both stub shafts, mower and blower to Woodville and they slide right on so its the tractor. Look the shaft over no burrs or any wide splines but still stops after about 3/16th of an inch. Going to see if local Menards has any Dremel wheels small enough to get into the groves and a file to file off the tops, two that I have don't cut much, and I guess if this don't help will have to replace shaft. Dealer wants $100 for new one and $50 for used.Is there any bearings I need to look at?? Thanks for all the help!

acfarmer
Did you ask the dealer if the Sunstar ever came with a 2nd size shaft? Also you could spray some paint on the shaft let it get about 3/4 dry and then shove the shaft on and pull it off the bare spots where the paint gets peeled off will be whats holding it back

jmhusby
The only answer I got was that Simplicity has a standard size shaft for the front and a different number for the 4 X 4 cause it hooks up from the back, I haven't been around one so I don't know how they work. Am going to get a different shaft but will try the paint but its rock solid and won't budge after it goes on about 3/16th of an inch. Still think the shaft was replaced by a not-Simplicity unit. Thanks.

jmhusby
Progress or not progress report--got the unit out of the tractor, two bolts after removing the belts. Took the two spring locks, can't remember the techinical name, off each end. Now, how does the shaft come out and the pulley come off? Don't want to pound on things and break something. Thanks.

CarlH
Look at the illustration in the parts book and the picture above to figure out if you have all the snap rings removed to drive it out to the front. Otherwise you will need to remove the pulley on the front.

jmhusby
At the present time I haven't figured out how to get close to a model number for this tractor as the tag is gone. Wish B & S would spend the few cents and put a metal tag on them. Its an Agco 1920H if any has got a model number I could use. Thanks.

jmhusby
Going to take the shaft to the dealer and have them swap the pulley and bearings as I don't have the right setup to remove the bearings and press them onto a different shaft. Still would like to know where this shaft came from and what mower shaft he used to make it work! thanks.