Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Magnetic Oil heaters

BLT
Unless you get a very solid - smooth clamp, the heater will burn out. I don't know where there is a surface that you can attach any as most engines are aluminum based.

BLT
Also, the ideal spot for a magnetic oil pan heater is on the bottom of the pan so the heat will rise. The Briggs CI horizontal engine has an aluminum pan and the bottonm is shielded. The only spot that has enough dimension to mount a heater is on the RH side facing the magneto which is way above the oil level and I believe the starter would interfere. Also if I recall, that side is not a real flat surface,

MPH
Sweetest thing to use Sam is the glue on oil pan heaters. I get mine at NAPA. They fit real good between the oil pan and the frame on the FDT. I've put mine on when the engine out but I think with some care and trickery one could slide it in place along the frame then raise it to the engine with a thin object.

SmilinSam
Something like this marty? [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-oil-heater-oil-pan-heater-120v-150watt-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0bb9c925QQitemZ180585351461QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories[/url]

MPH
That's the deal Sam. Haven't bought one for a year or so but pretty sure for that price we could pay for yours if I send you half a doz and you sold five of them. Thought they were under 20 bucks yet, will have to check in town today.

mike_sdak
how about attaching a magnetic heater to the side of the block somewhere, say just above the oil fill? Heat will be conducted to other parts of the engine block.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
That's the deal Sam. Haven't bought one for a year or so but pretty sure for that price we could pay for yours if I send you half a doz and you sold five of them. Thought they were under 20 bucks yet, will have to check in town today.
How many watts are the ones you use? How satisfied are you with them?

MPH
150 watt ones are 30 bucks here Sam. The 75 watt one's I use are 21.00. Before I had a heated shop, :) it would take maybe an hour of being plugged in with a large cardboard box over the tractor, also kept the snow off of it, before it they would fire up like it was summer. That was at temps I'd guess between 0 and -20. Seldom get any snow to worry about when it's colder then that. Oh yea, in the olden days had to glue them on with silicon, now they come with glue on them, much nicer.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
I used a 250 watt brooder heat lamp on my 7790 took about half an hour and it was ready to start.
How close to the block did you set it? My wife has several of those laying around here. She might not miss one or two