Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
snohiker

weak spark

snohiker
ok ive been working on the 66-707 took the fan shroud off clean the flywheel and coil i think i have it gaped right (if anyone knows the gap please say so )i get a good spark thru my spark tester that has a light until i hook it to the plug then its weak i get nothing thru the plug or my second spark tester any ideas. this is the tester im getting spark thru

this one nothing

dentwizz
If the checker is a Briggs made or clone thereof, the gap is made to be a true test of the spark. A lesser gap will indicate a spark but the energy needed to make it will be lower than what is needed to do the job well. To answer about the coil/flywheel gap, it is supposed to be the thickness of a couple sheets of paper or one layer of the box material briggs ships with. I just went through this problem on one of my 10hp engines. The magnetism deteriorates after a while and can need to be re-flashed(polarized?). All the other components can be perfectly fine but if the magnets are weak it won't get enough energy feild.

larry8200
No matter how carefully I file and clean old points, they never seem to work quite as well as new ones, especially on a tractor that gets wet a lot. I still clean them all the time. :) Are your points new?

mohrds
This may sound crazy, but is there a chance there is some anti-seize or something else in the spark plug hole that may be causing a bad ground of the spark plug? Maybe cracked spark plug wire that works when bent to reach the spark tester but is loose when bent to attach to the plug? You said no points. Is this a self-contained Magnatron with trigger? Doug

dhardin
Like wise here just yesterday i had a hard time starting my Kohler CV 23h. I used the cheap Harbor fright spark checker u have in the top pic. I could barely see any light when cranking. I pulled the fly wheel shroud and cleaned the coils, fly wheel magnets and blow out the entire area. Also wiped off the magnets and coil with a electronic cleaner and found some very small metal dust. Inspected the coils for clearance and replaced the shroud. BOOM fired up in second revolution. Over time I was have starting problems after its set for any period and after it rained. The moister/humidity was being held in all the dust and dirt around the magnets on fly wheel and diminishing the effectiveness. It don't take much dirt to cause this symptom.