Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
toomanytractors

6 Speed

toomanytractors
Since selling my 18HP Sovereign I'm back to the 3410 for snowblower duty. Since ten horse isn't quite enough for a 42" blower I decided to install the six speed off a 716 parts tractor. After looking everything over I took the cowards way out and swapped everything from the BGB back. It worked out well and has been road tested--now needs the usual adjustments and a little tweaking here and there. My biggest problem is that the front belt retainer is missing. I posted an ad under parts wanted so I hope someone comes through. I have also installed a rear lift with the idea of using a tiller and future short range plans include an electric lift(off another donor) and of course the wheel weights, tire chains and cab. My first intent was to swap only the six speed but by doing it this way I eliminated the need to remove pulleys, replace seals etc. Didn't even have to remove the wheels. I think this will be an interesting little gadget to have.

toomanytractors
Ray: Thanks so much for your response. Ihave a chance that the previous owner may have this part lying around his shop and will check tomorrow night. Farmers usually don't throw anything out. If not I will probably go with this. Thanks again