Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

KT 17 series two

Ronald Hribar
I know it is frowned on to ask the value of an item and not sure where the place to ask such a question But here goes What is the value of a complete motor? Series Two muffler, air cleaner, justed unbolted from tractor. I know the usual stumbling block is the shipping of the motor and is usuaaly better being pickedup by buyer And you can see what you are getting I think $1000 is a good price. This is a highly sought after motor, no repair parts readily avilable. In the hands of someone who is familiar with engine probably could be made to run for a long time. Am I way off base with price?

Brettw
I have seen running KT series II in the $600-900 range. And yes, the parts are incredibly expensive and hard to get. I believe you can buy a short block for the $1,400 range. E-bay has a NOS KT for $1,800. If I were to be looking for a re-power, I would not pay $1,000 for a used, not re-built, hard to find parts, expensive to repair engine. If I were doing a detailed restore, I wouldn't think twice about a complete running engine for a grand. Now that was a whole lotta help, wasn't it? :o)

Ronald Hribar
Yes that confirms what I believe is true. I stuck over $1500 into the 20 hp magnum that is in Erics snow machine. I would never do that again But I know the Kohler people swear by their motors and are willing to pay the price

mike_sdak
I have recently been through this drama on the series I kt-17 on my 917. Questions I would ask when valuing, as a potential buyer: 1)Will it need rebuilding in the future? That could be $700+, assuming your could find parts. If it would need oversize pistons and rings, you may not find them at all. 2) Will it need a muffler? If available, $100+ 3)If rebuilding is not necessary now, but in 5-10 years, what will be the parts situation then? I tend to be a kohler guy, but considering my above "buyer questions", I would say $500 top dollar for me. I don't know if that helps, but that's how I would view it.

johnmonkey
Don't forget that the series 1 did not have internal oil pressure and it can break a rod especially if you are mowing on a slope where one cylinder is lower than another. The series 2 has internal oil pressure. I have a blown series 1. jh

mike_sdak
John, True enough. Unfortunately, the parts for both KT's are scarce and expensive. Same for magnum 18s. I have run two series I's (JD 317, AC 917) for a total of about 8 years, maybe 100 hrs per year. No catastrophic failures, but they both reached the point where they were burning oil, smoking, etc. to a degree that I had a decision on my hands. (sold JD, repowered 917). If they were both "series II" engines, I don't believe my decision would have changed. I'm cheap, though. A $100 briggs 16 is a mighty powerful influence on the decision process.....

ardisam
I bought a Kohler KT17 series II from craig about 4 years ago. The motor came from a Simplicity 7117 from a guy that he knew and he was going to repower the tractor. I got for $200.00 plus a $100.00 on shipping, the only thing wrong it needed a new seal on the flywheel end of the crank. It's been running ever since I put in my Allis 916H.

Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 912H Deutz Allis 1920H