Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Question for the Powermax guys

midnightpumpkin
I have started tearing down the rear end of the 4040 to clean it up and paint. I was not planning to remove the drop boxes, however there is a moderate amount of leaking of trans fluid going on through the seals in the transmission case. My question is, how much of a chore is it to remove the drop boxes and replace these seals given I have the fenders and 3 point off already? BTW, the brakes kind of work on this tractor. I would appreciate any input as to how effective replacing these seals is. It seems like I have read where they are still prone to leak after the seals have been replaced. I can live with the leakage I now have, but if it is a simple matter to replace the seals is it worth doing? Thanks for your input. John U

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
Not to bad of job, but if you have oil leaking there it is on your brakes
I agree the brakes have to be wet, but they do work to a degree. Can I pull the whole assembly from the trans housing, or do I have to pull the drop boxes and then the axle extensions? John U

powermax_paul
I think you can pull the whole assembly. I've never done it but there shouldn't be anything holding the extension shafts from sliding out of the differential.