Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Ethanol = Dirty Carbs

xenon172
This is about the worst we've seen. It is off a generac generator that has been sitting for about 2 years. The sludge in the bowl was almost a half inch thick. Drain your tank within 30 days unless you live in our area, we love the business.

That's got more to do with the base gas than ethanol----and probably lots of water. I did have that problem once, but it was in about 1982 in a carb on Mercruiser I/O. Back then, there was no E10. After that, I made sure I used quite a bit of Heet in the gas tank to keep the condensate and water from settling out. Didn't have anymore problems. By the way, Heet is a form of alcohol. Even more interesting, is that since I've been getting E10 (last 12+ years here in Minnesota), I've stopped using Heet. I've never had that problem again. There are also a lot of urban legends surrounding E10. While the ethanol will absorb any liquid water that's in the bottom of your fuel tank, it won't "pull" water out of the atmosphere. Because it does absorb liquid water at the bottom of the tank, people can have problems with their first tank of E10. As far as corn being people food, the corn used in ethanol is not people food. It is livestock feed-----and after the ethanol is made, the residual material is sold for distillers grain (livestock feed). It has, however, raised havoc with some fiberglass fuel tanks in boats. Thankfully, mine was metal and then plastic when the first one got rusty (it's a 1977 boat). As I pointed out earlier in this thread, I've got 4 small engines, an old car, an old IH Scout, and the boat----all with carbs. They've all had nothing but E10 in the last 12+ years. Never any fuel related problems. Guess I'm just lucky.

johnmonkey
I also add Stabil to all of my gas tanks when I fill them up, that way all of my machines with gasoline will be (somewhat) protected. jh