Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity85

Tractor show Tips

Simplicity85
Hey guys, This has all ways bugged me I had my tractor at Eliot Last year and it got messed with. What do you guys do at shows? Im thinking of fencing mine off and keeping them buy my truck this year so ill keep a watch on em ALL. Thanks

JimDk
Other than standing there with a shotgun, I think we are at the mercy of un-supervised, un-disiplined brats. Both my tractors got scratched by kids with muddy feet at the Mercer, Co. PA show in 2009. Yellow marker tape thru the steering wheel and around the seat may keep some of them off.

Brettw
A properly rigged battery might just keep 'em off the tractor. Sorta like a bug zapper or electric fence.:D That would be worth the repaint just to watch Bratly and Snotly and Mommy and Daddy.

Brettw
I must say, in all honesty, unless I had a showroom restoration, I wouldn't mind kids sitting on or playing with my tractor. I would actually enjoy watching them.. It might even inspire future owners and collectors. Show piece, "Please do not touch". Daily worker? Well, if it can't take a kid sitting on it, I'm not sure how it can cut and till and blow snow.........

sammiefish
I get the "let em touch it" thing... but as he said "It got messed with" tough call, back in the day... we had drive on stansions for the car shows .. but you usually have grass... 11/2 tube stock flattened on the end for the tires to ride up on will secure the bent pipe for rope attachment...

bud119195
I always rope mine off but it always seems like there is one Jack A@# that thinks its ok to walk over rope and start touching everything..........

MDB
Been showing tractors for 30+ years and have never had any trouble with stuff getting messed with. I don't like the Idea of roping my tractors off, I want people to be able to walk right up and look at my restorations.

SimplicitySwede
My Yeoman decal on the back of my Yeo got scratched when someone thought they could just unhook my wagon and flip it over to see the bottom side of it. idk who did it, but ticked me off. luckily didnt scratch letters so i painted the spot black

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
I always rope mine off but it always seems like there is one Jack A@# that thinks its ok to walk over rope and start touching everything..........
There's always the little kid that'll walk right under the rope up to the hit and miss engine's flywheel and point at it. I've never seen a dad move so fast.