Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrendonV

Preserving the Seat

BrendonV
On the original Landlord 101 I picked up, the seat is flawless. What can I do, to prevent cracking and tears come the winter season? I'd really like to let it sit in the garage, but I can't bear to have it and not use it. sm06

Storm7012
I think I'd put another seat on it if I was going to work it. Then sell me the original for my 64' landlord that stays in the garage.....:D

Ronald Hribar
I think covered up well the seat should survive the winter well But you can always take it off the tracror and put it under your bed or and safe place in the house

HubbardRA
In the winter time the air is dry. This allows many of the volatiles to seep out of the vinyl into the air. In other words the vinyl will dry out. If you can keep the seat well covered with vinyl dressing it will help to keep the vinyl soft and prevent cracking. If you decide to use Armorall, you should apply it to the seat at least monthly year around. Armorall will only preserve vinyl if you keep applying it. If you stop using the Armorall the vinyl will dry out and crack much quicker than with no protective at all. I personally would look for some other type of vinyl preservative. I once used Son-of-a-Gun and had great luck with it. I haven't seen it on any store shelves in a few years, so they may not make it anymore. I would look for a dressing from Mother's or Meguiars, if it were me. Actually, I don't do anything to preserve my seats, I just replace them whenever they get too uncomfortable to sit on.

goatfarmer
Not using it is the best suggestion. I think WalMart still has Son of a Gun. They also carry a vinyl preservative by Turtle Wax that works well.

BrendonV
I'm between a rock and a hard place with this tractor. It's all original, absolutely MINT paint and everything. It's unreal. I just can't have it sit as an ornament though, it's a hunk of metal in the end after all. It'll pain me to use it, and pain me not to use it.

Brettw
quote:
I'm between a rock and a hard place with this tractor. It's all original, absolutely MINT paint and everything. It's unreal.
Me thinks we need pics.

Tiny
My 3212H had the most beautiful original black seat out there with 1 little 1/2" rip along the edge. This summer I was doing work on it and left it outside in the sun. It now is for the most part white.