Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deck cleaning

Tragu

I have a new Regent with about 6 or so mows on it and I clean the deck often but there are a few spots with some caked on grass on it do I have to get all the grass off will it hurt the deck if a little grass remains on it in a few spots. If so what is the best way to remove it? I am using plastic putty knives and this seems to work good, I will try to use some metal putty knives next to remove the caked on stuff. Do deck sprays work good? How often should I clean it and how clean should it be. I also do not want to scratch the factory paint when cleaning it. Am I being to compulsive about my machine. Thanx Doug

Unless you wear white gloves and use Lysol, I wouldn't think you're being compulsive about your Regent. If dish detergent and HOT water removes dried egg from plates, I would think it should remove caked on grass from the underside of a deck. Since I mow grass, leaves, twigs, and anything else that gets in my way in South Jersey sand, the only paint left under my decks is a little bit right around the arbors. I never used any of the deck spray stuff, so I don't know if they're any good. But, a metal putty knife does a nice job everywhere else on my Sovereign. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/work.jpg

Doug, In addition to a plastic putty knife buy a can of Bon Ami at the supermarket (should be next to the cans of Comet). This cleaner is non abrasive and can be used on plastic or fiberglass. It works great on the underside of the deck to remove the caked on grass. I too have been compulsive trying to keep the underside of the deck clean. I have also been using a product called Mow Ease which I bought from the dealer. It is supposed to prevent grass buildup but I have used it four times and I still get build-up. The buildup does come off fairly easily so I do not know if it is because I am spraying on this Mow Ease. The instructions say it is best if you spay on the night before you use the mower to let it dry. Have you been mulching with your Regent? Do you have the mulching baffles on? Are you satisfied with the results? I have been using the mulching kit with the Eliminator blades that I bought with the trator. These blades have three notches on the end of each blade. Dealer thought they were for mulching but I called Simplicity and they told be the blades are intended for leaves. They did tell me you could use them for grass as well. I have been very dissapointed with the results of the mulching with my Regent. I have the 38" deck. I am starting out at the highest deck height and going over the lawn twice, sometimes three times to prevent the grass from clumping. With each pass I drop the deck down one notch. I am running the engine at full throttle and cutting at a slow ground speed. I always trie to cut the lawn in late afternoon when it is bone dry. I am getting a lot of grass buildup under the baffles and this is causing the grass to drop off in clumps at times. My lawn is fertilized and I have an irrigation system so the grass is thick lush green so I know that the grass blades must have a lot of moisture in them. I don't think I should have to remove the deck after every use to remove all this grass buildup. Doug, how have you been doing with mulching? I would also like to hear other member's experience with muclhing. Thanks, Marc

Hey Marc I have been mulching I dont have the same blades as you do but besides for the grass that is stuck under the deck in a few spots I have been thrilled. The other day after it rained I mowed about 2 inches off the grass in third gear and when the grass was wet from rain and it was about 10 in the morning and it left virtually nothing. I think that those blades are the problem. Good luck Doug

With my experience using a Toro pushmower mulcher it would almost always clog cutting off 2-4 in. of grass but wouldalmost NEVER clog cutting off 6+ in. of grass. Jordan

There were specific blades that were designed for the muclher kit that you should switch to - 1716695 & 1716696. I agree that the eliminators are great for shredding leaves but will clump grass clippings. Also depending on how old your kit is you may need an additional anti-blowout baffle to help grass being blown out of the front of the mower.