Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Johnny Bucket worth its weight in GOLD!!!!

SmilinSam

I was not ready for testing it out but circumstances necesitated it. Brought in a load of dirt today and the truck got stuck in the yard. Had to dump several thousand pounds of material in the wrong place! My MF 2818 was set for mowing so I used the 7114 with manual lift. It has a pair of rear wheel weights and the sprayer(see "Do it Yourself" section) on the back. I had to move about half the pile out of the drive and JB did it with ease! I put it through some gruelling digging in the heavy wet dirt and its performance was outstanding. I figure I saved alot of wear and tear on my back and saved about a half days work by using it. The tractor seemed to have adequate weight for the work and using the manual lift was not bad at all. The right front tire will touch the lift bracket in a full tight left turn, but it presented no problems. I am working on something to tie the ropes to on the tractor and will post my solution later. All & all I am well please with the product and look forward to using it more often. Many have concerns about the price, but for me its well worth it just in time and effort saved. I send out a BIG Thanks to John Scheele for a great performing product, and another Thanks to Kent for bringing it to my attention. Keep Smilin, I am, Sam

Sam, Glad you're pleased with your Johnny Bucket -- I certainly am with mine. Since I wrote the review, I've used mine for several other chores such as moving mulch, carrying field stone for my retaining walls, backfilling the retaining walls with topsoil, etc. My poor wheelbarrow is now suffering from an inferiority complex.... How serious is the tire rubbing on a tight full left turn? I don't have that going on at all -- do you think the rubbing might be because you're running the wider high-flotation front tires while I have the skinny ones? Plus, you're using a much newer tractor with both an extended front frame and wider sheet metal... On your point about price, I agree wholeheartedly. This is a serious, quality tool, well worth its price. I consider that mine has far more than paid for itself already. The greatest thing for me with my busy schedule is the convenience that it's sitting there waiting for me, any time (1) I need it, (2) I have a few spare minutes, and (3) the weather cooperates enough to do some yard work. In ten minutes or less I can have the mower deck off, it mounted and be working... Soon I hope to have a second old tractor running (a Big Ten) and it'll likely stay "mounted" most of the time.... Kent

I too question the price problem, if it wasn't for the shipping to Alaska I'd have mine order on first posting. Anything that moves dirt or rock with a motor is well worth a few bucks to me. Been in the const. trades too long to do it for fun at home. MPH

With the 16x6.50x8 front tires and manual steering , at the end of the turning stroke the tire just makes contact. With the power steering it makes contact just before the end of the stroke so one could put a little pressure on it with that. One could adjust the steering to limit the turn to the left, but then again you would be widening the turn to the right. So, I just leave it alone and try not to make tight left turns(which I seldom do anyhow. ) It does not pose a problem for me and like you say Kent, with the 4.80's on the front they would not even touch. Like John found out on these extended frame tractors the lift bracket was going to be in the way of something no matter how you put it on, the tire was the least troublesome.The fact is I did not even notice any problem while using it. Sam