Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear pto?

geezer

i have a '70 simplicity 3212H soverign and have not figured out how to engage the rear pto. i just got it last november and have'nt had much time to look into it . the shaft moves alittle when i move the hydro drive lever(on the right side)when the engine is not running . i had my daughter drive it so i could see if it moved while it was in motion. no it did not move . any help on this question would help me greatly. matt

Thats not a rear pto. Its Just a shaft that engages the hydro unit. The only rear pto on the soveriegn is the on that runs off the beveled gear box.

thats the one i'm talking about . it is next to the rear lift rod . it is a little shaft no more than an inch and a half long with a hole for a pin.

thank you to all who helped me on this subject. it helped me alot. i'm glad i found this site and the 3212H. i go to the antique tractor and farm days shows to find old stuff like these tractors. thanks again

That is not the rear power take off. The bevel gear box is in front of the rear axle about halfway up the tractor. This is where your power take off for the mower deck in the middle gets its power from. That is also where the rear attachments get their power. That rod that you are describing is just the rear end of the hydrostat control and will never spin when you are running the tractor. Good luck. Clayton

Matt, Simplicity terminology can be confusing at first (it was to me). The "rear" PTO and "center" PTO are at the same location. Where the belts go determines if is called "center" or "rear."

Simplicity also adds to the confusion, and calls this a "rear PTO" in some places, yet they call it a "tiller drive" in other places. Making matters worse, some rear implements required it, and others didn't. My vac supposedly came off a B-12, and it has a crossshaft so it could take power from either side (drive pulley or PTO) and has its own engagement clutch (idler pulley and lever). So, I have two clutches to control it, one on the tiller drive, and another on the vac itself.... ....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/ThreePTOs.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/ThreePTOs.htm[/a]