Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NO BRAKES

TimE

Not sure what your brake set up is like so heres 1 cents worth, put a horn on it so you can get the dog to move..MPH

The brake pad can get a film of oil or grease on it and a good shot of "brake clean" can get rid of it. Also it can form a shiny glaze that may need to be lightly sanded off. Good luck...Ken W

I got my 6216 running so good it doesn't want to stop. I adjusted the brake according to the owners manual. That didn't help at all. So I tightened the adjustment nut until I only have a 1/4" gap between the spacer and the bracket. Now I have some brakes but only when the tractor is on level ground. If I'm heading up or down hill it won't stop. Hell, I almost ran over the dog. Is there a brake shoe/pad that is replacable? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Or do like I do,,give the dog a ride,she loves all of my tracs!,providing it isn't a BIG dog!lol! Yes you probably have the pucks worn out on it.They are avail.

I had a Montgomery Wards made by Gilson that had a worn out brake band on it. What I did was to find an old belt (the type that holds up your pants...LOL) then I cut a section of the leather out to match the width and length of the brake band. I sanded down the old brake band to remove what was left of the old lining and then used JB weld to glue the leather onto the band with the rough side out to contact the "brake drum". I had good brakes from then on with that set up. I just made sure to allow the JB to set up well. What I did for clamping was to tighten down the band until it contacted the drum and then allowed it to set up for 24 hrs or more. Once it had set up I backed off the brake adjustment until I had brakes to my satisfaction. Just make sure you don't get any JB between the leather and the drum...LOL