Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering Wheel Removal

BruceH

I'm working on a 312H and have to remove the steering wheel to determine what the problem is with the steering (too slpoppy). Tried the adjustment without much success. My difficulty is getting the steering wheel off to drop the column out the bottom of the tractor. I assume the shaft has a spline that he steering wheel meshes with. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the wheel off? I have tried loosening the steering wheel nut and tapping with a hammer, removing the nut and using wood to try to drive the shaft down thru the wheel and have now retired for the night after putting penetrating oil on the shaft. Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions.

IMO, you're certainly on the right track, especially with letting it soak... I don't know about the 300 series, but on the older ones there is a key and a keyway to align it. After soaking the one on a Big Ten with PB Blaster, I used a gear puller to gently pull it off... but I was dealing with a metal hub. I actually had more trouble trying to remove the little metal cap on the hub than I did with removing the wheel itself. Your plastic wheel (if I remember correctly from pictures) tends to elimnate that possibility, unless you have the bearing puller also to go around the shaft and then use the gear puller to pull up against the bearing puller.... I don't think you can drive the shaft out of the wheel, since that is likely only driving against the steering box itself.... However, after soaking if there is any way to apply upward tension on it with a pry bar, and simultaneously rap the nut on the end of the shaft a time or two with a brass hammer, you might just break it loose and it pop off.... Anyone else with any tricks up their sleeve?

Sit in the seat.Put as much upward presure as possible on steering wheel with your knees.Give the shaft a good rap with hammer.Be sure to leave a nut on the end of shaft so you don't damage the threads.

I agree with Mack the only thicg i would do different is use an air chisle, I used that methid with great success on a cub cadet 1100c and a 108 havent used it on any of my AC/Simplicitys yet... haven't needed to :) john