Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone ever used a Swisher Trail Mower?

Brent_Baumer

Hi Brent, I have never used them, but have looked at them and considered one a couple of years ago. My observations and opinion (maybe not worth the paper it is not written on): I'm sure you'd have to make a custom hitch to get the mower tongue pivot points at least a foot behind your rear tires. Not a big project with a welder and an abrasive saw or torch handy. You might even need to rig both swisher tongues rigidly in a parallel fashion to control them during turning. Since thte 60 incher has four wheels with the front wheels being swivel wheels, I don't think that you'd have too much trouble turning with the tongues rigidly locked together. I assume you have a left discharge deck as most simplicities have, and the big swisher is a right discharge. You'd have that problem of throwing grass into the grass yet to be cut by the tractor. take care, bobjack[A href='http://www.swisherinc.com/']http://www.swisherinc.com/[/a]

Brent, I’ve never used a Swisher, but I understand they enjoy a good reputation. I assume you’re considering a T-60. Frankly, I’m surprised you would consider spending $1400 on a pull behind mower, much less a pair for $2800. I say this for two reasons. First, using your own words from another post, “I just couldn't bring myself to buy the RIGHT belt….” In that case you were talking about only $28. Second, again using your own words to describe the Swisher T-60, “[there is] not much to these machines.” You’re right, there isn’t much to the T-60. I look at one of those mowers and I see a deck similar to a Simplicity deck with a simple frame built around it, and an engine. You were capable enough to fabricate a rear lift, therefore I suspect you could build a frame without too much trouble. Why couldn’t you buy a used Simplicity deck ($100-$200), some new wheels and hardware ($75-$150), a brand new Briggs 12hp engine ($350), and you have a pull behind mower for under $700…?! Plus, you use the same blades and deck parts as your tractor, and everything discharges from the left side. Don’t you think that would make a neat cost efficient project..?[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1605299628'][img src='http://www.swisherinc.com/images/T-60_big.jpg'][/a]

Dutch, I have thought about trying this. I just don't like to get many $ into something I'm not sure of working. Didn't notice on the Swisher the size of the drive pulley. Don't think they could be seen w/o removing some covers. Do you know what the RPM is on the deck drive pulley of a Sim. 48" deck? Would one want to drive the center arbor directly off the 12HP motor at 3000+ RPM or use a smaller pulley and a belt to the factory drive pulley? 3000 RPM seems way too fast for blade speed but don't know. I would think you would want a belt to slip or give rather than shear something off by direct drive as well. All this work would also give me a 48" cut. I can by the Swisher 44" with a pull start 10HP Briggs and rear discharge for $799 at Tractor Supply Co. That's alot of work for 4" more cutting width and the Simplicity cut. Questions. Questions. Now I'm talking myself out of the $1400, 60 incher and going with two 44 inchers trailing the 916H. Hmmm. I hate decisions like this. Oh well almost time to go mow again! Oh - one more thing, I already have two 48" decks. The shells, the bails, height adjusters and rollers are the same. The bearing housings, the blades and the way the blades attach (1 bolt vs. 2 bolts) are different. I had to buy a bearing housing once so I went to the dealer. He came out of the back room with about 4 or 5 different height "cone" type housings. Good thing I brought my old one in to make sure I got the right one. Moral of the story, just buying a used 48" deck won't guarantee me parts interchangeability. The used ones around here for $100 always need about $200+ worth of parts and alot of patches welded on. Thanks for the replies. Brent

Brent, have you given any thought to gang reel mowers? No extra motors to maintain, if your back 40 is smooth enough..just a thought...MPH

Okay Brent, Marty makes a good point about extra engines to maintain. So, how’s this for a WILD IDEA..? Take advantage of Simplicity’s existing features, and your extra decks. Fab a skeleton frame ($50), get a rear shaft w/ double pulleys ($100), a center arbor with triple sheaves ($100), 4 swivel caster wheels ($80), a few of idlers ($50), and 4 belts ($80). Attach the decks to the skeleton frame the same as the tractor deck is mounted to the axle. For about $500 you have 2 trailing decks with no extra engines to maintain. The only problem may be your 16hp may not have it. What better reason for a big horse re-power. And you have $2000 left over to pay for it from the $2800 you didn’t spend on the Swishers. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/traildeck.jpg

I am spending too much time mowing again this year, and am again considering purchasing a larger mower, just for mowing. $6000 to $8000 is out of my league for just a mower which is what I'd have to spend on a Dixie, Ex-mark, Derby, Gravely etc 60"-72" cut (I've looked at 'em all). In addition to 2 acres of lots of trees, buildings, garden, swingset, kids clubhouse etc to mow around, I mow and additional 2.5 acres that is pretty open. I looked at Swisher trail mowers today. The one I liked was 60" cut with a 13HP engine. The hitch allows it to be offset from the tractor so I could get an almost 9' cutting width in combo with the 48" deck on the 916H or the 3416H. The unit costs $1399. If it worked well, and turning was not a problem, I could buy 2 and offset to either side and have close to a 14' cutting width for under $3000. I know I would not get the Simplicity striping effect doing this, but the 'back 40 doesn't require it. Has anyone used these before? If so what was your experience? Looked to be fairly rugged and I don't want to buy something I have to work on much. I already have too many of those. Also, not much to these machines. An engine, three blades and one belt. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. By the way, would've been at the picnic today but had to mow (not really, just a little too far away). Thanks, Brent

Great idea and drawing Dutch. I have my doubts about the 16HP and the bevel gearbox with this setup as well. One extra engine the in center of your setup looks more likely. I'll give it some thought. I also thought about buying Sam's re-powered 912H on ebay, selling all the attachments (I already have all of them) and just paying my 14 and 15 year old nephews to mow with the savings. The trouble with that plan is they think they need to have some time off too, and that baseball, track, AAU wrestling and basketball are more important than mowing for $5 per hour (I already tried it last year). Where does one buy gang reel mowers? I haven't seen any new ones. The only reel mower I've ever seen was my grandpa's years ago. Single reel, push type, maybe cut 24" in width. Brent

I have seen Swishers' at auctions, all welded up. It does not look like the Swisher brand is built all that well. Most of the pull behinds I see around my area are Habans, the 48" sells for about $800 at Farm and Fleet and the 60" for about $1300

BRENT : GO TO FARM FLEET IN GREENVILLE OHIO .THEY HAVE THE GANG MOWERS .MUST BE 6 OR MORE OF THEM COMBINED TOGETHER.ANOTHER IDEA .BUY A BIGGER 900 SERIES FOR UNDER $3000.00 AND THEN BUILD THE MOWER LIKE DUTCH SAID AND YOU SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO RUN ANOTHER MOWER DECK OFF THE TRACTORS CENTER PTO OR PUT A 10 HP BRIGGS ON IT TO POWER THE DECK.AGCO918

Brent, If power is a problem, check out Blackie Day's Simplicity in the mix and match section!! hehehehe He seems to have plenty to spare! Joe

BRENT: WENT TO FARM FLEET A LITTLE BIT AGO AND THEY HAVE A 63 INCH WITH A 12.5 HP BRIGGS FOR $1299.99 AND A 42 INCH FOR $799.99 AND ANOTHER 42 INCH FOR $1199.99.AGCO918

I had a Swisher T-50 Trail Cutter for about one year. In that time it destroyed three clutches, multiple belts and an idler tension spring. As the warranty was about to run out my local Tractor Supply dealer bought it back for what I paid for it. I will not buy another Swisher product.

That's at least 2 votes for no on the swisher. Got lots of nays on the ganged reel mowers around here too. Gonna go look at the Haban's at Fleets today. Thanks to all for the replies. Brent