Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

627 Yeoman Engine

gr-made

Hi - My advice would be to try and find used a used 17 cubic inch engine. Not familiar with the 'classified' resources you have out there, you can also try some local lawn mower repair shops, recycling centers, etc. for a used engine. I've also seen them on 'ebay' from time to time. Depending on how adventurous you are, and what the other 'problems' you described are, you can try honing the cylinder and replace the piston rings with an 'oversized' set. If your are not familiar, comfortable, or prefer not to deal with the above, you can always get a new short block or complete engine for not much money (ie: $200-$300), but probably more than the tractor is worth. Good luck !!! Tom K.

I just got a quote on a complete motor and a short block from http://www.perr.com/ for a 17cu.in. motor for a 717 Broadmoor.The shortblock was 275.00 and complete motor was 405.00 mowerman1193

Sounds a little high. Was that 'complete' motor you referenced electric start with generator ? Another source for B&S engines is Northern Tool (www.northerntool.com). For about $400 (retail) you should be able to get a complete 8HP (19 cubic inch) with electric start. From time to time, Briggs & Stratton dealers offer new engines at reduced (clearance) prices.

I have a neat little 627 Yeoman that I bought last fall for my son. It has a 6 1/2 HP Briggs on the unit and it had no compression. I pulled the head off and the cylinder wall is scored and has some problems. My question to all of you is can I find a used motor that runs good for this. Or should I buy a shortblock and go that route. Or should I have the motor rebuilt? Any suggestions would be greatly apprectiated. Thanks, GR-Made