Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering Wheel Removal (Follow up to Msg. 4084)

BruceH

After spending the better part of the weekend working to ge t the wheel off with no success, I'm stumped. I noticed in my service manual that 2 wteering wheel are listed for the 300-400 series. One is with a splie and one is without a spline. Looking at what's in the tractor, it appears that threads extend below where the jam nut was attached down into the center of the steering wheel. Is it possible that this wheel is threaded onto the shaft? If so, does anyone have any suggestions regarding it's removal? Soaking with PB Blaster, using a pry bar underneath and trying to break it loose with a hammer have yielded no results yet. I'm not sure about the next step. Thanks in advance for any ideas. BruceH

Bruce, I’ve never seen a 300-400 series tractor, much less worked on one, so take what I suggest accordingly. Some 7000 series tractors use a tapered splined shaft with the wheel held on by a nut, others use a straight shaft with the wheel held on by a cross bolt or pin. I’ll assume yours is similar to the 7000 series tapered splined shaft, and there are no cross bolts or pins holding the wheel. If my assumption is correct, the only thing preventing your wheel from coming off is rust. Some steering wheels can be very difficult to remove because they’ve been in place for years. If your wheel has threaded holes next to where the shaft comes through, you can use a steering wheel puller. If there are no holes for a puller, try the following. This procedure can be tricky and DANGEROUS, so BE CAREFUL. The idea is to get the steering shaft hot, VERY HOT, without melting the plastic wheel. Heat should loosen the rust. You will use electricity for heat. An electric welder works best, but you can use a 12 volt battery and HEAVY jumper cables. 1) Get someone to help you. 2) Reinstall the steering wheel nut loosely (1-3 turns). 3) Clamp one end of a welding or jumper cable on the shaft UNDER the steering wheel. 4) Connect both cables to the welder or battery. 5) Clamp the other end of the second cable to the steering wheel nut (If you’re using a battery, there will be plenty of sparks, so clamp it on quick – If you’re using an electric welder, turn it on). 6) Keep pulling upward on the wheel, and it should come off as the shaft heats.

I have removed many steering wheels by screwing a nut on the steering shaft so the nut has about half of the threds on the shaft and the other half above the shaft.Then get a bolt to screw into the nut until it is tight against the shaft.Then get on the tractor and place your knees under the steering wheel and push up on it and strike the bolt with a hammer.Some times it will take a few hits but it will come off.I have never broken one yet like this.I got this tip from the Antique Tractors web site. Good luck!! mowerman1193

I agree with mowerman1193.That procedure will work.The Cub Cadets use the same gearboxs as the A/C 300/400 series.And that tip is also on their(www.ihcubcadet.com) FAQ.[A href='http://www.ihcubcadet.com/FAQ/#11']http://www.ihcubcadet.com/FAQ/#11[/a]