Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Follow up on JB Weld exp. on Carb. (msg id 3825)

Les

I used JB Weld to repair a small hole in the bowl section of a 10 hp Briggs Flo Jet Carb.. I cleaned the carb., scuffed areas, applied JB Weld, let it dry 24 hours, scuffed it up again and applied a second coat. I did this on both the inside and outside of the carb. I rebuilt the carb. using tips from Precision Engine Repairs "My Notebook" and the carb. is on the B-210, works fine and doesn't leak. Now I just have to see what it does over time.

I've used two part epoxy a couple of times on carb bowls and it's worked well too. Friend of mine has an air plane and has access to "real" epoxy, heavy duty stuff, not what you'd find at a local hardware store.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

I think you will be happy with the results you get from the repair. I have repaired carbs and gas tanks with JB and so far they haven't leaked. My old Ford has over 100,000 miles on a JB patch on it's gas tank and so far it's sill dry. The whole truck has over 250,000+ miles on it and still going strong! Not bad for a 3/4 ton 4x4 that has been used and abused at times....LOL

The resin used for fiberglass repairs also works very well for gas tanks, etc. It can be sanded down to a smooth finish and won't leak.