Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

seized mower blade assembly- how to repair

I have a series 5116 ,16 hp simplicity around 1980 model. One od the three blades has frozen. i can turn it both directions manually with the belt off - although it is very stiff. I cleaned all the grass around it thinking it was bound up to no avail. Could it be a frozen bearing? There is no grease fitting there. There could be a piece of wire where I can't see it. Anyway i'm not much of a mechanic and can't get the blade off. the top bolt losened but it didn't help. Anyone know how to hold the blade tight to loosen the bottom nut, and what could the problem be? Thanks Larry Watts

Willing to bet it's bad bearings. Before you tear into it though, I'd strongly recommend getting a parts diagram that shows exactly how the shafts come out. I destroyed one of the blade shafts on my Ford LT110 mower deck by using a hydraulic press and didn't notice how the woodruff keys went in. Needless to say, I just punched one of the keys right out the top of the shaft.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

I have had wire get between the houssing and the shaft and put mine in a bind before. More than likely though, you do have a bearing that is about to seize up on you. Just pay close atttention when you take it apart. I usually lay mine out in the order of which I take it apart so that I can keep track of the washers and spacers and such. I then clean up all my parts and then place them back on aa clean piece of newspaper according to how I took it out. Then I get my new bearings and reverse order of how I took it apart.

Hi Larry, I just went through this last week, a couple of things I did. Used an impact wrench on the bolt with a piece of 2x4 braced against the blade. Advise about keeping track of the disassembly is right on, I do a couple of things, first I bought a cheap (old) polaroid camera at a thrift store and use it to take quick shots at intervals. The other thing is when things are complicated, I set up the camcorder up on a tripod and focus on the general area on auto focus (I slowly hold up anything important to the lens) Double checking focus. I have even taken the camcorder to the parts house for assured understanding! Anyway, I agree it sounds like a arbor bearing going. I changed all three on mine when one started going south. Turns out the bearings had started spinning on the shaft :( Happy Fathers Day! Good Luck, hope this helps, Warren

That arbor assy is pretty easy to fix.the upper an lower housings separate at the middle once it is unbolted from the deck and the pulley is removed then the bearings can be driven off each end of the shaft.Use a brass punch so you don't burr anything up.