Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repolarizing a flywheel?

srwven

Look at the option of putting on the automotive type ignition. coil and condensor is easier and no engine removal. Don't know where but is on here somewhere Scott

You don't need to repolarize. I put the Magnetron on my 68' 3112H and it worked fine. I also put it on the 16HP engine I replaced the 12HP with and no problems. I wish I could find the e-mail response from Briggs when I inquired about this same thing, but they said you shouldn't need to repolarize. But if you wish to have it done, one they can do it. You need to send it to the factory to be done. But they recommended putting good insurance on it, because a good many get damaged during shipment. Your call, but I never did it on mine and it ran fine. Tom

I called briggs they said it does need to be done. A mechanic at my local dealer is adamant about it not needing done. He states that he has done many without doing it and has never even heard of it. The rep from briggs I spoke with said that the charge on the magnets on the old cast iron block flywheels is charged oppositely of the charge on the electronic ignition flywheels. I am just going to rebuild the carb to see if that will solve the problem then go from there.

I am going to convert my 7014S to magneto electronic ignition. I have seen it posted that pre 81 engines need the flywheel "repolarized"? What is this process, is it just replacing the flywheel key? I called my local dealer and they said this is not necessary, do I need to do it or not? Where can I get it done without going through Briggs?

Steve, See if you can find the technical info on the electronic ignition kit. IMHO, I don't see the difference whether it senses a "north" pole atraction or a "south". The only reason I can figure for a specific magnetic polarity is if the timing sensor is magnetic as well. I guess you're having a problem with engine starting? Dadsy

That's correct dadsy, I can't get it to start. I believe it is just the carburetor though. I just figured I might as well do both and take care of it now. I have been having minor problems with the tractor every now and then sort of "hiccuping" and I would adjust the carburetor, that would take care of it for a while. It would do it again, especially going uphill, then I would readjust to fix. Well this last time it stopped and would not start again. I pulled the plug several times after turning it over, and only once was there fuel in the cylinder. So I suspect it is a carb problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the magneto polarity shouldn't matter. It's the CHANGE in magnetic fields as the flywheel spins that actually creates the pulse that fires the plug. The initial direction (N or S) doesn't matter. At least that's what the B&S manual I have shows under the Theory of Operation section.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]