Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

Chain Size OK? (Update) (With Pictures)

laytonlight
We're supposed to get another 3 to 5 inches here in Missouri tomorrow after we just had 10! I have 23x8.5x12 Turf Tires on my Landlord 2010. I broke an old set of chains that I had on it during the last snow, So I just bought some v-bar chains that looked pretty heavy duty for my needs, but when I eyeballed them, I thought they were 1/4" links. When I got them home they measured at 9/32" with the caliper. :O They're the right size width at 14" at the outside and I can cut them to length. Just wondering what you all thought before I start cutting on them. I have a long gravel drive and I'm not worried about how smooth they ride, just whether or not they will stay on OK and not tear up the tires. I don't have wheel weights or fluid filled tires, so I don't think it will be too much weight and will probably help in that regard. I'm pushing a 42" spring trip blade. Any opinions? ?

steve-wis
Layton, I don't see any problem with them, as long as everything clears like fenders and such. Only 1/32 inch difference isn't going to make a difference, in my opinion, except they will last a bit longer. Steve

sovereign72
Go ahead whith them. You should see my chains, they were for an old picup I had and I cut them shorter and went to town with quick links putting themback together. then came the bungees. I dont have any problems on my gravel except for the blade gouging it ocasionally

laytonlight
Thanks guys, I went ahead and cut them and put them on. They are stout! :D A little bit of a rough ride as they are 4 link chains, but I had enough left over that I can transfer the cross chains that are left and make them 2 link chains. That should smooth it out quite a bit. I'm sure it'll be fun putting them on then. :O That'll happen down the road when I get one of those tools to do it with. Right now I feel as though I'm set to move some snow tomorrow. Of course now that I did this, it'll pass me by. But that's OK with me if it does! Going to go watch some Tiger basketball now. Thanks again for your help! M-I-Z

laytonlight
Willy, thanks for the tip on the chisel. It's usually the simple things that elude me! Thought I'd post some photos since everyone likes pictures! The first is the poor old Mutt being pressed into winter service and performing admirably. (I'll get that 2010 rebuilt one of these days!) The second is the comparison of the old and the new chains. Quite the difference.