Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel Gear box drain location on 7117H

78kitty

I just changed the engine oil & hydrostat fluid / filter on my 'new' 7117H. I wanted to do the bevel-gear as well, but can't find the drain plug. Where the heck is it!? The owners manual says it has one, the picture isn't very clear but it seems to be on the back cover. Darn if I can see one on mine. I took a couple pics, but they're too big to upload. I'm at my Gpa's working in the garage and can't find anything to resize the pics here so I'll try & post some later when I get home & can shrink the file size to below the 100Kb limit. Think I got them using Pain'ts stretch / skew option @ 55%....

I have 2 different styles I snapped a pic, the first should be like yours with a fill in the top and a plug to the rear and bottom (where it should be:D) The second is an older style with the fill to the back but the drain on the back towards the top. It almost looks like you need to seperate the back of the case to drain it. That or its on the bottom. If it is not, maybe look for a new rear plate or don't worry about it cause you will probably never drain it again:D

Thanks a bunch Burntime. This Sovereign has the one like the top pic, but definitely doesn't have the drain on the rear cover. I like the advice about not needing to drain it again, but after getting my 3415H as a basket case from the PO b/c of bevel-gear failure, him disassembling then getting sticker shock of parts cost, then me buying it and getting sticker shock as well in finding out it costs more to rebuild and get new gears for (approx $400) than buying a whole parts tractor. Oh, not to mention how much of a PITA & the amount of labor involved to just take out & replace the Bevel-Gear box I'm VERY religious about changing the oil in them. Did I also mention I use Royal Purple full synthetic gear lube in them!? As a side-note one of the reasons I'm so religious about changing the BGB fluid is b/c our esteemed club president (RayS) said he's never seen a bevel gear box fail that's been maintained.

I have seen them with an inch of crud in em but full and still tight and quiet. It almost looked like someone used grease in some of them. I think if you keep them full you will never have an issue.

OK here's the bottom & still NO drain!!! Could they've used a version that doesn't have a drain plug on it for this model? Doesn't seem like they would to me!

"As a side-note one of the reasons I'm so religious about changing the BGB fluid is b/c our esteemed club president (RayS) said he's never seen a bevel gear box fail that's been maintained." This has been my personal experience. Eventually overtime everything is going to fail. Preventive maintenance is the key to these to last a very long time. I have had a bunch of tractors through here that have little to no oil in the BGB and the previous owner wonders why the BGB is shot. I check the oil in mine atleast once or twice a season. The newer tractor don`t have a drain. It cost to much to add them and you can sell a gasket if you have to remove the cover!:D