Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S, determining which tractors it was used on?

mroman59

I have B & S Engine, Engine Model: 446777 Engine Type: 0244 Engine Code: 040630YG Horsepower: 26 Model Name: Extended Life Series (ELS) This engine is a vertical shaft engine and I am thinking of tearing it down to look at piston and rings. If I can repair this engine I would like to find a tractor to put it on. It has a 1 1/4" vertical shaft, not the usual 1" shaft that I see on most lawnmowers. Does anyone know how to find out which lawn mowers used this engine? Is it possible to contact B&S and give them the model no., etc. and they can tell me which manufacturer may have purchased this model or any manufacturer that used a similar engine with the 1 1/4" shaft? I am mostly concerned that if I pick a used tractor, that I can use the same pulley system to run deck or drive belt if any. Thanks, MR

Might be off of a newer Craftsman. Keep a sharp eye on the air filter and box. I've read that these engines have had problems with it sealing and letting dirt and dust in to the engine and scoring cylinders.