Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spark Plug Cleaning

Simplicity_728

Whats everybody's method of cleaning spark plugs? I usually dump a bit of SeaFoam on mine and clean them on the wire wheel on the grinder (Which is from 1938) and I can them looking pretty much like new.

Agreed. i go with new ones, unless your doing a old car, like my model a, and you want to clean the original champions like my dad has on his 31 model a, then just get a new one. these are tractors lol. :D

I use a spark plug cleaner I picked up at harbor freight tools its a mini sandblaser, I love it because im impatient and hate spending three dollars on gas to drive to the store for a 1.99 spark plug. I also take the plugs out of every junk item I can find and clean them too. I dont think ive bought a plug in 5 years.

Well after 46 yrs in the auto repair bussines the best avice i can give is do not clean plugs with a abrasive cleaner it will result in spark plug failure.clean with carb cleaner or buy new.

Hi, If you clean with a sandblaster, you must wash with hot water and blow out with high pressure air a couple of times before reinstalling. Without the water wash, quite a bit of abrasive gets in the cylinder. Briggs has a service bulletin out about 15 yrs ago about not using abrasive cleaners and list the amount of abrasive that gets in the cylinder. Al Eden