Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just purchased a SunStar, motor S# is missing

wildbilljp

Hey guys I have been reading the post of this site for three days now and it is really neat. I just purchased a SunStar 20 (see pic)really cheap and the guy says it needs a starter. When checking the S# to order a starter, I found that the S# is partially missing. What I can get off the tag is 830808196 and I know it says Magnum on the motor. The number on the bottom left side of the frame is 1691381. Can any of you guys tell me what I have? BTW, will post a picture as soon as I figure this site out... Thanks, James

Welcome to the Brother & Sisterhood:D 1st step is to pay the club dues so you can post images. 2nd step is to find a good online image hosting site, such as photobucket 3rd step is to enjoy the site. Chris

I would just get a starter off Ebay. Type in Kohler M20 in the search, and scroll down until you find a starter. The prices run around $70 to $90. Chances are kohler only made one starter for those motors. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916 Hydro Allis Cgalmers 917 Hydro Deutz Allis 912 Hydro Deutz Allis 1920 Hydro

The serial # you posted is on the engine? The spec # for that Magnum engine should be 49544 as I have the same tractor model #. What I think is important is to find out the tractor's serial # if possible as that could possibly have an effect on parts ordered. My starter Kohler part # is 52 098 13-S

quote:
Originally posted by bowhunt4life
Welcome to the Brother & Sisterhood:D 1st step is to pay the club dues so you can post images. 2nd step is to find a good online image hosting site, such as photobucket 3rd step is to enjoy the site. Chris
Hey Chris, I'm curious why you use photobucket instead of uploading pictures directly to the forum? And Welcome! Wildbilljp

Thanks Ardisam and Nubian for the info.... If I keep this monster of a mower, I'll definately have to joint your site for the benifits and discussions. Thanks again. Later.......

I would not buy a used Magnum starter without putting hands on it first. Lots of them will bench test OK, but then not start an engine. What I have found to be the biggest problem with them is that the bushing in the nose cone wears and allows just enough side play that they will not fully engage the flywheel.

Well said indeed truer words have never been spoken.dOd
quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
Keep it, in my opinion its Simplicity best tractor they ever built overall and one of the top garden tractors ever built of any brand.