Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

double v insight

rokon2813

Since I'm keeping the B212 with 48" deck, I'd like some insight on how well the double v belts work and how they hold up. Does anyone here mow with that style? Thanks Dan

Dan, From what I have heard, most of them were converted to single "V" pulleys. I had one car that had a double "V" setup on it, and those belts had to be purchased as a matched set. If you just bought single belts there would be just enough difference in the belts that only one belt would tighten up right.

Rod, these are attached together and go on special pulleys, I guess you could call it a "W" instead of a "V" I think Mike (MDB) has one, but I don't know if he actually mows with it or if its one of his pretty toys

I mowed with mine on my HB212 Dan. It did just fine. I think they did this to provide enough friction/surface contact, to drive the deck with the small diam. pulley. However the cost of the belt was pretty high until I found the gates crossover and sourced it from NAPA. The only problem I found was the belt jumping off when I encountered a rough dip in the yard to mow over. I found the spindle bearings worn and when I replaced the bearings and that problem stopped. I will say that I would not go to that belt due to interchangeability of decks between multiple mowers.

Dan, sorry to give you the wrong information. I had never seen one up close. I did have one of the pulleys that was on a PTO that I got. I just knew that the matched belts on the car were a pain to deal with. If it were me, I would switch the pulleys out to make them match the other tractors so the attachments would all be compatible.

Well, I guess I'll try it the way it is, it came with 2 belts, so I'll see what it does, then maybe change it over when its time to buy a belt if I don't like it. Most people know my tractors get worked hard and are not pretty so I'm not afraid to change or modify them, just someday I'd like to keep one original. Thought it might be this one but maybe not :D

Dan, My B-210 had a double-V until I converted it, and when I bought the 3112V, it had already been converted but came with a spare double-V belt. They work VERY good with the exception of what Dave mentioned -- if the deck moves suddenly up and down when you go over something, they'll throw the belt off. The belt is so stiff, side-to-side, that it doesn't handle the up and down movement as well as single belt will... If you have the belts use them, IMO...

Thats kinda what I thought Kent use them up, besides that I have a 3112 with no center pto so if something happens to the 212 I can always swap the pto over and keep going with the 3112

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Rod, these are attached together and go on special pulleys, I guess you could call it a "W" instead of a "V" I think Mike (MDB) has one, but I don't know if he actually mows with it or if its one of his pretty toys
I use double v belt drive on my 3212H, HB212 that came from you Dan and also my B212, all with 48" decks and get along very well with them. Planning on changing the HB112 over to the double v drive so that all of them are the same. If you watch you can pick up NOS belts on Ebay every so often. Part #2108854SM for 48" deck and Part# 2168171SM for 42" deck. And yes I do mow with them.:DdOd

I too have had my HB-212 "throw" the belt, so I bought a few spare single belt pulleys to do the conversion later on. Though I do have a lot of dips in the lawn.

Like I said above, after replacing the bearings on the center spindle to help eliminate the sharp angle "jump" of the spindle angle my belt problem went away.

I had one of those but I changed it over for compatability between tractors and implements. It worked fine with the "W" belt but since most everything I had was single belt I swithced it. I don't recall seeing a "W" belt or pulley in the stuff I've gone through so far, must have parted with it a while ago.