Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor 738 Transmission

jennandal

I have a 738 that serves me well in mowing, tilling, and snowplowing when necessary. However, near the end of the summer the transmission stopped shifting. I can put it in high gear and it will run wide open, or I can put it in neutral and it goes slower. I have no reverse and i cannot force the shifter into the gear locations. Anyone have any suggestions for wheer to attack this first?? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your shift forks need to be aligned. I think you can get at them thru the oil filler hole thru the top of the transmission. From here, someone else needs to pipe in.

Every one I had with this problem had a bad piion gear in it. You can access the shift fork through the fill hole on top of transmission and slie the forks to nuetral but chances are the problem will come back again, Something inside of trans must be worn for this to happen and I would bet on the reverse pinion gear.

Hi, The shift rails (shafts the forks slide on) may be turned. They have a flat on one side of the end sticking out of the trans and a lock nut to keep them from turning. If they are not adjusted correctly the neutral locks are disabled. You probably need to get the shift forks to neutral and then rotate the rails to the positions shown in the shop manual and tighten the lock nut. Sorry I am at the house and can't remember the exact settings. Al Edem

• 1 month later...
Sorry for the delay, but I got the oil filler opened up yesterday and don't know what I'm looking for. When I shift it to 1st I can see a gear that clearly has a "1" on it. When I shift it over to 2nd I don't see much of anything. And I can't get it to even go to the 3rd or R settting. Does anyone have any diagrams or pics to get me going in the right direction? Thanks!!