Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax brake questions

DMedal

Eventually spring will come to the northlands and I'll get my 4041 out of it's snow bank* and one of the first things I need to do is rebuild the brakes. I bought a spare set of brake discs from Joes to make the job go faster. Symptom: only slight braking even when I apply extreme pressure on the pedals. I don't think the problem is that I am not pressing hard enough! 1) If the discs don't look and feel oily, are they ok? In other words, can you tell by looking? Or should I do the boiling/cleaning others have described anyway? 2) The IPL shows the brake discs with grooves. Are disks without grooves too worn to be serviceable? 3) is 168006 the right part number for the seals that go bad? 4) any other parts I should order before hand? Don * I had surgery and complications in the fall and didn't get ANY of my fall tractor stuff done. Although i'd planned to get a blower on it, it and the whole fleet wound up snowed in under 4 feet of snow. That's my excuse but I'm not real proud of it.

THere were disc's with grooves and without. IMO, you need to pay real close attention to the ball cam actuators and make sure they are smooth. If you don't you won't be able to apply enough pressure to overcome the friction to apply the brakes. Next is the disc's must be absolutely clean. When I reasseble the brakes I normally invert the outer brake cover and put the new metal against the brakes disc's and take real heavy sand paper and scuff the inner bearing hub where the brakes have polished it so smooth. This will apply lots more friction and braking when reassembled. I don't recall the part number for the oil seal, but you'll need 4 of those. @ on each side to create a double lip seal and you'll also need the O-rings for the hub as you must pull the bearing hub to replace the oil seals.

Don, Instead of the Simplicity # 168006,I used a Timken #471733 seal, which has a double lip built into it. My 4040 did not have a deep enough area to allow two seals to be used. The later units also are supposed to have a drain hole to allow weepage to drain out below the brake disks, look for the drain hole and make sure it is clear. You will no doubt find your brake disks saturated with ATF. John U