Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tri-ribs - size for 16x6.50-8 stock fronts?

mike_sdak

Hello. I am flirting with the idea of picking up some tri-ribs for the front of my AC 917. I have seen others on this site with tri-ribs on front of large frame tractors. I currently have carlisle turfs (16x6.50-8) on the front. What size tri-rib tire will work with these rims? Thanks in advance,

The 16x3.5-8s (or 16x4.0-8 depending on the tire) will work with the stock rim width if you use tubes, but they do balloon out a good bit. There are pics floating around showing the diff between those tri ribs mounted on narrower rims vs the wider ones. You can also jump to the Vredestein V61 5 ribs which are designed for that width rim and work similar to the tris. I personally swapped to narrower rims on my 912 when I put on the 16x4.0-8 tri ribs.

Borrowed pic from another thread showing 4.0 tri rib on wide rim:

It's ok I guess, but sure looks better to me to make the narrower rim happen...

There was one company that worked with Firestone, I think, to develop a 16x6.50x8 tri-rib. I think it was Miller Tire. I have a set of 4.00x8 tri-ribs and a set of 3.50x6 tri-ribs. I do not have any of the 16x6.5x8 tri-ribs. They are a little pricey for me, at about $65 per tire.

Mike I have the 16 650's on my 917 and really like them. The stock rim is just fine. I mounted my own but they were a real pain. You may just want to drop them off to have them mounted. They were available from me miller tire. That is THE ONLY place that you can buy them new. I researched them. They were like 165 shipped to my door.

OK, My premise was that tri-ribs (or 5-rib Vredestein v61) tires would help steering, especially with a snowblower on the front. Is that true, in your opinion? Thanks again,

I would love to hear of someone who has had both and tested them against each other. I am thinking the 5 ribs would steer better than the tri-ribs.

The deere guys seem to love them (v61s), but I have no experience with them. My intent would be to put them on the 917, to improve steering during mowing, plowing and snowblowing. The 917 seems to steer much harder than my JD 140 (with the same size turf tires).

I just looked at a pic of the v61's. They are much deeper grooves than I thought. I was picturing the carlisle rib type tires. I would think the v61's would be pretty good in snow or dirt, not sure on the lawn.

I have 4x8 Deestone tri ribs on my 2110. The work great for my application. My LL only plays in the dirt. I would advise against putting the narrow tires on wide rims.

I have the v61's and love them. Best ever in the snow. only thing close is the narrow wheels and tires off my old 7010 I think the tires are trailer tires