Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
simplyjim

New Engine

simplyjim
I have an older Simplicity 6111. The tiller, mower deck and frame are in good shape. However, the engine froze up a month or so ago and I may have to replace it. The engine is a 252707-0131-01. B&S says the engine is no longer produced and the replacement is a 217907-0025. This new engine runs about $600 so, I was wondering if there might be other engine options available. I believe the shaft length and diameter are crucial. I can put a wrench on the top of the engine and the crank will turn. Is there a way to get something into the cylinder to see if I can loosen it up a little? I haven't torn too many small engines down before so, I want to try anything I can to see if I can get it going. Also, is there a good place where I can start looking for a used engine? Thanks for the help.

timflury
Take off the spark plug and ground the plug wire to the engine. Then, take some WD-40 or equivalent spray with the straw attached and insert the straw into the spark plug hole and spray away. Let that sit for a few minutes and then try to turn the engine over. You could also shine a flashlight into the spark plug hole and see the valves opening and closing provided you can turn the crank. I'm guessing that you already took off the shroud in order to turn the crank with a wrench. There's not much left in the way to remove the cylinder head. I would only do that if you are still having problems turning the crank. BTW, welcome.

BLT
There a ton of 12HP still running around and I think the model is 286707 IC (cast iron bore), Just look at the older Sears Murrays and MTD's > Shaft size should be 1" X approx 3" long. Simplicity has been pretty consistent with that in that HP size.

simplyjim
Since I am new to this forum, I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. Rather than starting a new topic, I am replying to the responses to my first question. Let me know if this is correct or do I need to start a new topic. Anyway, I removed the engine from the tractor today. I put some WD40 in the cylinder (sorry, I didn't have any penetrating oil handy). I was able to view the valve in the spark plug hole and it is moving up and down. I was also able to manually turn the crank and heard compression from the cylinder. I'll let it sit overnight and check things out tomorrow. Also, when I put the WD40 in the cylinder, the engine is 90 degrees off from how the engine sits in the tractor. While this soaks, should it stay 90 degrees off or should I sit it back like it came out of the frame? Thanks again for all the help. This is a great site. I'm sure I will use it more in the future.

Burntime
The oil was just to free it up. Now you need to put it on the tractor and work it. It will smoke good until the rings seat if they do. I had 2 kohler singles. Once made it, one did not. So I guess based on my experience your chances are 50/50:D