Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB212 has charging problem

bob1959

I was working on my rear light and my wire connector sparked (shorted out) and killed all electric on the tractor. Figured it blew the in line fuse and I was right. Replaced the fuse and fired up tractor and went out to plow for 30 minutes. As I was plowing I noticed my amp gauge was discharging. When I got tractor back in I shut it off and tried to start it but had real low juice going to the starter/gen. I thought the generator must not be working so I replaced it with a spare one I had. I charged the battery up and next day had to plow again. Tractor fired right up and as I was plowing I noticed the amp gauge was still discharging. Came in ,shut off and the starter did the same thing as before. Something is not charging the battery. When that fuse blew it must have effected something else. Is something wrong with the regulator or should I start somewhere else. Any help, Thanks

First off, charge the battery. Then I would check for a bad connection or burnt wire from the short. It's easy to diagnos the charging system. Just do a search as it's been talked about before.

I had the same thing on an old tractor. Turned out I washed it and one of the wires on the voltage regulator was loose and corroded. Cleaned them all up and all was fixed. It only took 3 months to annoy me enough to investigate:D

When you were plowing next day were you using anything electrical?? Unless you have a direct short drawing the battery down The B's will generally start at least a dozen times on a fully charged battery even without a charging system. If you are not running anything electrical, chances are your regulator shorted as there is nothing else to draw down the battery once the engine is running. As said above, check your wires for shorts then, The older regulators are repairable, I would open it up and see if the contacts are stuck. very similar to points so you can clean them up.

Thanks for the info. I did have my headlights on while I was plowing. When I put the lights on my amp gauge did discharge to a negative 7 or so. I think I will start with the regulator first and ck out the wiring. If I had a bad wire wouldn't it short out the system and not let it start??

not necessarily, the black and yellow wires as well as the 2 short ones from the regulator to the starter generator and a good regulator ground are your "charging circuit" the purple and blue and large wire to the generator are the "starting circuit" and the key switch gets its power through the black wire, meter, and short yellow wire the white wire is the "kill" wire Not perfect, but a basic description of that wiring diagram.

You can test the starter generator for function. while the engine is running, you ground the field wire on the starter generator to the negative battery terminal with a jumper wire. I think it is the field wire to test please double check me on this. when grounded the generator will put out full current, you will hear it pull a load on the motor and see it charging on your amp guage. do not leave it hooked up this way as a quick fix as it will burn up the generator just a few seconds to test will not hurt anything. Then I would go to the regulator.