Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  

23d engine spec.

Can someone tell me the head bolt torque? Is there anything I should be aware when rebuilding this engine?

DaveL
Torque is 190 inch pounds. Tightening sequence is tricky to explain without a picture--but here goes--imagine head looks like a "D" On the flat side of the "D" which would be the side at the exhaust and intake ports-there is one bolt in the middle of this side start with this bolt as #2(easiest to explain the # sequence from this one point without a sketch)-and these are the tightening sequence #s per my book GOING CLOCKWISE from this bolt #3(top of the side with the ports) -7-6-1-9-4--8-5--then back to 2. You may be able to find an old Briggs books--mine is "REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS IV --on e-bay or a longtime dealer. Parts for these old ones are hard to find but are still out there a good source is NAPA as well as any of the advertisers on this site- hope this helps