Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

900 Series Snowthrower Belt Stretch

BMinor8806

Guys, I have been using my 42" snowthrower on my 916H with the long center PTO belt for 1.5 years now. It seems to me the Simplicity belt still stretches a lot. Am I doing something wrong? All pullies and bearing as working as they should be. Do I need to readjust my rear idler puller on the tractor? I hate to do this because it is perfect for the mower adjustment come spring. Brandon

Adjust the pulley. It's easy to do and will save your belt-------belts don't stretch, the sides of the "V" wears away. Right now, your belt is probably slipping under load and wearing quickly.

I seem to be having the same problem. Killed one belt from last season till now. Put a new one on yesterday. Blew most of my drive way until it started slipping again. Seems I have to go quite slowly to make it work properly. I thought it was due to the wet snow. How should this be adjusted?? Is there a procedure in the manual??How much tension is supposed to be on the belt?? Thanks Ken

I think you adjust the rear pulley on the tractor below the cone clutch until the belt guide rides in the front red edge next to the green if I'm not mistaken. I may be taking too much swath at once too. Brandon

Here is the operators manual for the 36" and 42" snowblowers on the 7100 series and 900 series. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEAGP_esN3tG5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6