Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Chief

Onan CCKB Stator/Alternator

Chief
What I really need is the ROTOR -- the thin ring that contains the ceramic magnets that is installed in the flywheel; however, I would consider a matched pair of ROTOR & STATOR. This is for a CCKB-MS2733J, 19.5hp, ONAN, S/N: H88 0151770. According to Cummins Mid-America in KCMO, the original ONAN ROTOR is P/N 191-0400; the STATOR P/N is 191-0724. I'm led to believe that there are several different versions of these Rotor/Stator Assemblies and mine is a SYNCRO brand, (20-Amp, I think). It appears that the Rotor & Stator on my ONAN has been replaced and are not the originals. My engine suddenly froze up while cranking on a cold morning. After some (lucky) troubleshooting, I discovered that one of the ceramic magnets in the ROTOR ring had failed and had allowed a piece of metal to jam between the STATOR & ROTOR. Being unsuccessful in locating a replacement ROTOR thru Cummins or other sources, I decided to re-install the ROTOR without the one failed ceramic magnet (there are 12 located around the ring). It worked. I haven't checked the charging current/voltage yet; but the engine runs good w/o any vibration. Not sure how long this 'expedient method' of repair will last, so I'm still in the market for the ROTOR, at least.

D-17_Dave
You can remove the other magnets, clean the rotor, and reglue the magnets back in. Keep in mind that the magnets are directional so the polarity has to be correct for it to work with the stator. The glue is old in these flywheels just wears out so any used flywheel purchased is subject to the same failure. Also if a magnet comes loose while the engine is running it normally locks the stator and shears off the screws holding the stator and takes the stator and the timing cover out with it. I would consider yourself very lucky. I have never needed to repair the flywheel but I have seen several cases of this type damage. Club Member JP, Jim Powers, has done this repair and can lend you more assistance if you need. Just for reference, the CCKA's at 16.5 HP used a totally different charging setup rated at 15 amps and the CCKB's used the 20 amps system. Both used the Syncro brand stators and the 20 amp used the separate diode pack a regulator.