Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Back-up Light? 917H

Kenzen

I spent a lot of time in reverse plowing snow last night - could have used a light pointing backwards. There's a hole in my DA917H fender that appears to be for mounting a small back-up light. Assuming I'm correct - what was the stock bulb power? What turned it on and off? Is there wiring in the harness to support its operation? Thanks, Ken

My guess is a 35 watt guide lite. I have a 55 watt in mine. You should have a 15 amp charging system so your only using a little less then 6 amps currently...

Here is the kit number :http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_dyQ1tG5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6 Don't know if it is available. You can go to an auto parts store and pick up something also. I did this to two of my tractors. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=99708&SearchTerms=guide,light

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
My guess is a 35 watt guide lite. I have a 55 watt in mine. You should have a 15 amp charging system so your only using a little less then 6 amps currently...
What is the pwr/current draw of the 2 headlights? (if they're 35w/ech, I'm slightly over the 15amps...)

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Here is the kit number :http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_dyQ1tG5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6 Don't know if it is available. You can go to an auto parts store and pick up something also. I did this to two of my tractors. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=99708&SearchTerms=guide,light
Thanks! (I hate to think its really necessary to tell me to turn off the engine when I install the kit sm00! )

Most of the tractors did use a Guide light similar to the front lights on the older foot dragger tractors that had a switch installed right in the light housing. Guide lights are kind of scarce but reasonable looking facsimiles are available at any auto parts store. I've found very good luck for this type of lighting at any truck stop or major truck dealers as the truckers use them for load lights and such.

I forgot to add. On your 917 if you add the lite like Bob did it is very cool, but if you mount a cab you will bust the switch... I wired mine thru the dash and connected it to the fuse block on the tractor. If no cab then no worries...

So my "take away" here is I probably have a 15 amp charging system and my headlights are drawing less then 6 amps (total power being 70w or 35w each). This leaves a comfortable power margin for another 35w light in the rear. I'm not sure how the factory install would have controlled the light, but a local switch, or remotely installed on the dash is typical. I was considering having a contact switch with the hydro drive control that closed when it was in reverse, in series with the headlight switch (parallel to the headlight power run) so it came on automatically in reverse if the headlights were on. Might need a relay to handle the power if the headlight switch can't handle the nominal total 12 amps of all 3 lights. Thanks! Ken