Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi-Lo versus Low Speed Pulley?

larry8200

My Big 10 came with both. I decided not to change anything till I worked the bugs out and ran it awhile. Well thats done. I'm only plowing with the 46" dozer blade so far and for me 3rd is a touch fast, 2nd is a touch slow, and 1rst is good for getting really close. I also have a 46" sickle bar, 42" mower deck and 36" snowblower. It looks to me the Hi-Lo engaged would be too slow in all gears for plowing, but the 8" pulley would probably be just about perfect in 3rd. I know its not much work to swap them, but I'm still interested in your thoughts. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Zach
i just have the standard pully on my 101 and for plowing i use second mainly because its right across from reverse.
Thats exactly what I'm doing, I have difficulty controlling it in 3rd, especially starting.

My 2110 has the 10" pulley use 2nd for most of my blowing. My other 2110 has the standard pulley use mostly 2nd for plowing 3rd is too fast. Loader is a variable. My 64 had a hi/lo think I used hi range most of the time.

I have the hi-lo For plowing snow I use 2nd or 3rd in hi range. I use low range for tilling the garden. you might want to use lo range for blowing snow. If I had a blower I could tell you better.

It depends on the snow for me. I use third as much as I can plowing. It seems to make the snow roll off the blade better. But some times with wet heavy snow I need the torque I get in second.

i use 3rd gear, but i have a long driveway. i use low range for tilling the garden. i have another hi-lo i want to set up on the big ten w/16hp and blower.

my B10 does not have high low, and am fairly sure it has the standard pulley. but i use second as it seems best suited with speed/momentum and power for most of the plowing. third is rarely used unless traveling around the hood. its road gear first is great for working on sidewalks depending on type of snow work area. generally first is too low and you will not have enough speed and too much torque, you will spin out quickly. i was told along time ago to use a higher gear when your stuck as to not spin out as easy helps you get out of stick spots. so i use that as my baisis for what have said. that and a few years playing with that tractor in the snow.