Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

27Jan11 Phila Snow Pics

PhanDad

My wife took some pics of my snowblowing activity today after I had done most of my driveway and I was at neighbors. This pic is at a neighbors across the street:

These are at my next door neighbors:

This pic gives you an idea of how steep my drive is:

This is the first year I haven't run chains on the blower tractor. So far so good barefoot. I also had my wife take some videos, but they didn't turn out very well. When I came home from work, I did my other next door neighbor's drive (ran out of time before work this AM). I took a few videos from inside the cab, but they aren't so great either. If you want to see them, they are at: http://www.youtube.com/user/PhanDad47 Sure wish I had a video editor. Or maybe I should say sure wish I knew how to use a video editor. ;) View at your own risk. PS- Don't notice any appreciable difference in the new style snowblower with the 4 paddles. If you look closely at the third pic, you'll see it still throws a bunch of snow straight ahead if the snow isn't real deep or your taking a part cut. PPS - This is the first year I've blown snow with a twin. Sure sounds different from the 16HP single cylinder Briggs. I'm becoming a believer in the Kohler CH18.

Looks great! My kt17 is running good but I just got a lead on the linkage for the new ch18. Hopefully I will be right there with you next year! I would have thought the blower would have done better? Does it at least not clog as easily if you are not hitting it hard? I am going check the distance on my blower one of these days and if its close I will try to add some with the welder if its not too much...

The cab was definitely toasty today. Temp was in low 30's, but very little wind and some sun. Only needed a tee shirt and long sleeve shirt to keep warm. A cab is definitely the way to go.

Bill, I am surprised you could climb that driveway without chains. How mcuh weight do you have on that tractor? Rick.........

The video does seem to show it blowing better. I don't know if its the taller thin chute or the 4 paddles but it seems more of a constant stream of snow. Too bad you don't have a twin with the old style next to yours.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
The cab was definitely toasty today. Temp was in low 30's, but very little wind and some sun. Only needed a tee shirt and long sleeve shirt to keep warm. A cab is definitely the way to go.
I picked up a decent cab 2 weeks ago, unfortunatly it doesn't do much sitting beside the shed. Its been cold enough to make the vinyl quite stiff and I dont want to touch it like that if I dont have too...

Rick, I have a total of 310# of weight; 222# wheel weights and 88# stinger. The extra stinger weight is required; barely made it up the driveway without it in the first snow, and it was a dry snow. Getting back up yesterday after the first down pass was difficult since it was a wet snow and there was a thin layer of very slick snow/ice/water on the drive. Standing on it, I would slide down the drive; needed the snow shovel to stop the slide. Almost resorted to having a neighbor stand on the back hitch for even more weight; I've had success using that method in the past with the turf and chain setup. Michael, I agree the stream of snow is more constant with the newer 4 paddle snowblower. But I don't think the amount of "throw out front" snow is much different. Also the chute is the same dimensionally, but the top movable section is hinged and makes a smoother transition which probably helps the overall performance. Only issue is the hinge is glued on, wonder how long it will stay "stuck". I feel some rivets are in it's future.

Question... Should the stinger weight also be acting like a counterweight??? I know there is a powered lift, but shouldn't the weight be going down when the blower is lifted and up when the blower is lowered?? As far as video editing goes, youtube has their own for you to use. I'm trying to learn how to splice two clips together.