Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Optimum plow setup?

Hi, Just wanted to pick everyone's brain on getting an optimum plow setup. The 16HP gave the tractor plenty of power but it seems like it still has a weight/traction issue. Right now I have unloaded rear AG tires w/ chains and weights. I was thinking about going to dual loaded AG tires on each side. Has anyone done this for plowing? Is it better? Not sure if I could still use chains and I dont think I could use weights anymore as the wheel adapters use the weight bolt holes to hold the tires together... I was also thinking about adding some snow hog tires on the front. Not sure what else to do, any other ideas or is the machine just maxed out?

If you have a lot of snow to remove a snowthrower is best. The snowthrower tosses the snow so you do not need the extra traction since there is nothing to push. I have used the 46inch plow blade once or twice when I lost a belt so I may not be a plow expert:D

I have a 3314v with 75 lbs in each wheel plus a rear counter weight of 46 lbs total of 196 lbs.The tractor weights appprox . 1,000# without the blade or snowblower.Have 23x10.5 x12 carlisle ag. I don't have any trouble pushing or blowing snow

In my opinion weight is the key to plowing. The more the better :D To the point of undue stress on the rear end. Every year i try something a little different, 04 was probably my best year:O This is 150#, unloaded 8 1/2" ags with no chains, 12 hp. It didn't steer for beans though. Now I have the same ags, loaded at about 65# each, with 2 link chains, and no concrete. Also the same tractor is now 15hp. I also went to front ags mounted backwards. It steers much better, but does not "stack" as high. I also plow with a 9hp B 10. 6" ags, 4 link chains, 46# on each wheel. It does a better job than the 15hp.

WOW, thats impressive!!
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
In my opinion weight is the key to plowing. The more the better :D To the point of undue stress on the rear end. Every year i try something a little different, 04 was probably my best year:O This is 150#, unloaded 8 1/2" ags with no chains, 12 hp. It didn't steer for beans though. Now I have the same ags, loaded at about 65# each, with 2 link chains, and no concrete. Also the same tractor is now 15hp. I also went to front ags mounted backwards. It steers much better, but does not "stack" as high. I also plow with a 9hp B 10. 6" ags, 4 link chains, 46# on each wheel. It does a better job than the 15hp.

I'm with Dan. It is not which tractor or engine that you have, it is how it is set up. My current plow setup is an AC716H which only has a 10 Hp engine on it now. I also have a 48 inch (not 46) spring trip blade from a Bolens tractor that is mounted on the AC. My rear tires are Dunlop AG type ATV tires that and I only run 8 pounds of air in them. I do not run chains on that tractor at all. It is the best setup that I have ever used for pushing snow. I have had others, but none worked as well as this one. I spent over 20 years doing tractor pulling, so I understand tires, and weight setups to make pushing/pulling traction. Whenever the blade completely fills up with snow, and there is no place for the snow to move to, the tractor will stop. It doesn't matter what tires, chains, weight, etc, it will stop moving. The snow has to have a place to go. Once a certain amount of snow packs together, the tractor will not push it. It is always a combination of tractor setup and snow moving techniques that makes plowing much easier for some people than for others.

When it comes to pushing snow these little tractors aren't gonna push a full blade of 12"+ wet snow around easily. When the snow is over 6" deep I use the blower, just because it's so much easier on the tractor and then there isn't an issue of where to stack it all either.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
When it comes to pushing snow these little tractors aren't gonna push a full blade of 12"+ wet snow around easily. When the snow is over 6" deep I use the blower, just because it's so much easier on the tractor and then there isn't an issue of where to stack it all either.
I'm still having no luck with the blower :( It clogs all the time, I can't get it to work for more than a minute before its fully choked up.

Two observations: 1) I would load as much weight as possible on/in the tires and rims as possible. That takes considerable load off of the axles, frame, trans, etc. Much better for the tractor. 2)
quote:
I'm still having no luck with the blower :( It clogs all the time, I can't get it to work for more than a minute before its fully choked up.
Couldn't tell you why without seeing your setup. But something is obviously not right with your blower or setup. I have had two different tractors, 42" blowers, all different types and depths of snow, and I think I have only clogged it once. I could not be happier with the way it operates.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw Couldn't tell you why without seeing your setup. But something is obviously not right with your blower or setup. I have had two different tractors, 42" blowers, all different types and depths of snow, and I think I have only clogged it once. I could not be happier with the way it operates.
I'll post some pics tomorrow, its the 36" 3 belt unit. Works fine, just clogs the circle opening with all the heavy wet snow. Toying with the idea of cutting it off and putting a plastic one on...

Last year I plowed with the 620. 125' of asphalt parking lot at the FD and a good 4" of wet snow on the ground. At times I would have snow rolling well then it would pile so high it would fall backwards over the blade. 75# weights on each tire with flotation tires. I had to make it spin out by jambing the hydro controls when changing direction. I was amazed at how well it pushed so much snow in front of the blade, sometimes close to 10' ahead of the tractor with the mound of snow built up. I do understand there is a harsh comparison between the sizes of these tractors but the same setup and tecnique applies no matter what your using to work with. I was guessing that about 4" of snow would be the maximum I'd want to work till switching to a blower. To keep from building such a mound of snow at the edge of the parking lot I would/should have tried the blower. If I get the chance I'll do this. I do (for the first time) have the blower mounted and it's ready to go. I also have a 42" blower for my HB212. Now that that tractor is getting a make over I'd likely scare the snow away from here for the rest of the winter if I mount that one too.:D

You need lots of weight on the rear as pulling is a whole different game from pushing.Also I have a very aggressive set of ATV tires on one Sunstar and a set of regular ags on another and have tried the blade on both when they were weighted about the same.ATV tires were the winner hands down.

Which ATV tire have you used that out performs an Ag tire?
quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
You need lots of weight on the rear as pulling is a whole different game from pushing.Also I have a very aggressive set of ATV tires on one Sunstar and a set of regular ags on another and have tried the blade on both when they were weighted about the same.ATV tires were the winner hands down.

I agree with the earlier assessments too. Putting duals on will certainly not help you with snow. Snow will ball up in between them and let you spin easier unless you have a gigantic, wide stance to avoid that situation. Just like on cars and trucks in the winter, narrow tires will cut a track better than wider ones. Now, if you were looking for flotation or to lessen the ft/lbs of ground pressure, then the duals would be beneficial. In the past, I have used 26x12x12 Firestones ags (on extra wide rims) full of calcium chloride, 23x10.50x12 Carlisle turfs full of calcium chloride, and 23x10.50x12 Carlisle turfs empty with chains. Of those three, the 23s with chains went through everything. I never got to use the 23s with chains after I bought wheel weights, but the addition of the weights or fluid would only improve the situation. The Firestone ags, although looking awesome, just slide and spun on ice.

Nubian just about all the ATV tires I've used will outperform ag tires especially in mud and snow.The cleats in the Ags fill up and don't clean out very well.My favorites are AT 489 trackers and Mud Hogs.

Well I may never plow again :P Got the snowblower working right. I had a little 21" single stage 3HP snow blower I found at the dump, got it running and it blew snow awesome. Got me thinking about my tractor since its a single stage too but 12 - 16 HP it should kick the snot out of the little one but didnt. Took over all 6 hours to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Even sanded the chute and sprayed with teflon. I am going to order all new belts for it just to "top it off". Chain was loose, front belt tensioner was seized, got it working then lost a retaining ring. Got everything going now, cut right through giant drifts and I only had it on the 12HP machine. Can't wait to see how it does with new belts and on the 16HP machine! The thing works awesome and it was working through super heavy wet snow to boot! Even cut right through the back where I had shoveled off the deck so it had twice as much heavy wet snow, slower going but still cut trough it! Very happy now :)

This winter we are plowing with a 4041 with the factory AG tire setup. The rears are 8-16's and the fronts are 4.00-12's. Both front and rear tires are new. The blade is a 60" with hydraulic lift. The is the best plowing setup we have ever had. Traction on the rear is very good and the narrow front tires seem to allow the tractor to steer even when pushing a heavy load of snow. We always plow with the blade in the float position. The only negative with this setup is the fact that the hydraulics are not live. Without a third hand it is difficult to steer, control the hydro drive with the right hand, and control the blade with the left hand. Put the clutch in to stop and there is no hydro power to control the blade.

John U

I use a Homelite T-10. (pretty much an Allis B-10 or Simplicity 7010) It has chains and a 36 inch blade. I've found that plowing in 2nd gear at about half throttle puts the tractor in a real good pushing configuration. That is, enough power, but not enough torque to spin the back wheels. There are no wheel weights on it, but then I'm no lightweight either;-). I just got the front PTO stuff. I'm looking for an exploded diagram of the front PTO and the snowblower attachment. Tnx.

I plow with my B-10 loaded turf tires with about 6lb's of air. I have Tri Ribs on the front. I don't use chains until we get a lot of snow or ice then I'll put on a set two links. I have two sets of 75lbs weights but I don't like using them I feel there a little tough on the key ways.

quote:
Originally posted by rfsmith1952
I use a Homelite T-10. (pretty much an Allis B-10 or Simplicity 7010) It has chains and a 36 inch blade. I've found that plowing in 2nd gear at about half throttle puts the tractor in a real good pushing configuration. That is, enough power, but not enough torque to spin the back wheels. There are no wheel weights on it, but then I'm no lightweight either;-). I just got the front PTO stuff. I'm looking for an exploded diagram of the front PTO and the snowblower attachment. Tnx.
There is a big difference between a B-10 and a Simplicity 7010, a B10 is like the Simplicity LandLord. If thats what you meant there are two different snowblower hitches. One is for the three belt and one for the single belt (That I know of anyway). You can get all the exploded views right from simplicity if you have the model # of you snowblower (when you get one). If you want I can post some pics of mine tomorrow.

Thanks. I found the diagram right here on this website. I'd like to see pics of the different hitches. I pushed a really heavy sloppy ice and snow mix today, took twice as long as it normally does. I don't think a blower would have cut it for this storm. The tractor did well, take your time, push a little at a time. And try not to break anything;)

Andre, for what it is worth, I buy the non-stick spray for skillets at Walmart and spray the heck out of the shoot and blades just before I blow snow. I have never had a clogging issue. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, you know murphy. Try it, it's cheap and works for me. Larry P.S. I keep the spray in the house because when it is cold it does not spray well at all.