Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
WITom

Sunstar - snowblower or thrower?

WITom
I picked up a really nice 42" Sunstar snowthrower off of Craigslist late this last Fall for only $120. Only thing it needed was skid shoes - originals were wore out. I made new ones myself. I picked this up from an AGCO dealer. He also had a two stage snowblower sitting there and had $160 on that. I feel these prices were extremely cheap compared to anything I had seen in the past for Sunstars. I had my Suburban when I went to pick the thrower up. If I had more cargo space, I would have been tempted to buy that blower too. Anyhow, I have been EXTREMELY pleased with the performance of my thrower. That thing will REALLY heave the snow! I find it hard to believe the two stage unit could outperform it. Say nothing about it appearing to look a lot heavier, causing additional stress on the front end, and extra moving parts to wear out. What are other's thoughts on comparisons between the two? Best part was, I also got the undercarriage/hitch for a Legacy so if I ever decide to upgrade, I am all set for that tractor too! :)

larry8200
I think if you have enough power the single stage blowers are great. Sunstars going to have plenty. I cant imagine what it would take (on a gt) to get me away from my 42" single stage.

jmhusby
Last Fall I picked up a single stage off CL for $160 and two weeks later a tractor with bad engine, 48" mower, and a 46" two-stage blower. Sold the single stage blower, the tractor, and the 60" deck that came with my original Sunstar. I have a single stage on my Prestige and it works good. The two stage on the Sunstar throws the sloppy wet stuff better than the single stage and going back to the two-stage when I trade my Prestige. Either one does the job. For that amount of money you should have taken the two-stage, cleaned it up and touched the paint up and and put it on C L. You could have easily doubled your money!! Shaft driven blowers are hard to find for the Sunstars throughout the country.sm06sm06sm06

914-allis
Yesterday I picked up a 47'two-stage commercial snowthrower part no 1692243 and the fast hitch part no 1692244 with elec chute for 650.00 and I felt very lucky to get it. My dealer said he though it was a very good deal because the blower new was all most 2000.00 and the fast hitch was 650.00. Hope to get it put on in the next few days to see what it can do. Dale