Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
rsmcjr

londlord 101 axle tube

rsmcjr
I am trying to change the axle tube on my 101 and am stuck.I saw someone saying that the transmission needed to come apart to change them. I have the cases split but they will not come apart more than about 1/2" and I have no idea what is holding it up......any ideas? I also can not for the life of me figure out how to get the differential off, I can see the the keyways but there isn't any kind of set screw to let it slide. I do have the end cap and hub off but that's as far as i can get.?

ReedS
There is nothing that holds the diff on it is somewhat of a press fit onto the axle tube, usually a good solid hit with a fair size hammer will move it. As to the axle tube you may need to be working from the diff side, it's been a long time since I've had to have a transmission apart I can't remember that detail, but I am thinking that there is another snap ring that keeps the main gear in place on the tube and certianly the diff, grease fitting and the diff snap ring must be removed in order for the axle tube to be removed.

rsmcjr
thank you ReedS, I had a feeling that it was just a tight fit but didn't want to damage it if i was missing something. I'll keep working at it and hopefully will get the cases apart far enough to get at the snap ring. I would love to find a repair manual for these. I have a parts manual with the component blow up shots which helps alot but there are always tricks that aren't obvious.

rm
lay the trans on its side in a milk crate you can wiggle the cover off theres a snap ring in the diff behind the washers you need to remove. i can repair it if you like. im in mass have done many before.