Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stupid question!!! lol

rm

lots of snow here in mass, im thinking of adding more weight to the b 10, have 50 lbs wheel weights mounted on each wheel. i was thinking of adding washer fluid. heres the catch! i have the original tires on it. there filled with slime. :) can i add washer fluid to the tires or should i get tubes? thanks rich

If you have cracks in the tires that the slime is filling, washer will dilute and cause potential issues. If the slime is decorative, it could be irrelevant. Tubes would be the least hassle in the long term either way.

do you think these tractors need more weight ?. i only run 25lbs each wheel on my tractors and the rear counter weight. the tractors perform great. i had a set of 62lb per side weights on a lanlord one year and it seemed like a bit much weight for it. just didn't feel right to me like maybe the posi-traction wasn't kicking in right. may have just been that tractor i dont think the posi works very good in it anyway. but i do have a set of weighted tires i plan on useing next year with 25lb weights and chains.

Hey Rich, You dont say what, if anything your using for chains, with some of the wet haevy snow New England gets I think they are a must. I have a 46" spring trip plow on my Big 10, along with 4 link chains and about 30 pounds on the stinger and it does great. I have a 42" blower on my 3416H with a pair of 25 pound wheel weights and 2 link chains and it also does great And then I way something like 270.... My $0.02 worth

Like most of these guys indicate, 25 lb wheel weights is probably good enough along with a rear stinger. I'm hesitant to run 50 lb or bigger wheel weights on a Simplicity or AC differential. Alot of the old junkers I've picked up in the past that had wheel weighting like that also had pretty worn and/or broken diffs. At the moment I'm testing the durability of the tranny on a 314 Deere. Got a loader on it and I have 100 lbs of wheel weights on each wheel, 270 lbs of suitcase weights hanging off the back and another 30 lbs of weight in a weight box cavity between the suitcae bar and the frame. We'll see just how tough a Deere really is:D

p.s. larry you can tell how far off my steering wheel was before my fixing. hope your still watching this thread. now if i remember correctly these were from my first year of plowing, rear weights are i think 25#. i remember them seeming quite heavy when i took them off last winter though, might be 50#. anyway with that and 4 link chains and a stinger i don't have many traction problems. without the stinger i had some traction issues not to mention the lack of counter balance for the blade.

Hey, Matt, I haven't forgot but I do need to go look at your thread again. sm01 My steering wheel looks just like in your pictures. Quite the bank climber you have there! I think I've been to easy on my Big 10, well, thats easy to fix!

You fill the tubes with the washer fluid? That has to be painstaking! How is it done? Sorry, I seem to be hijacking these treads when the washer fluid talk comes up. Rick

quote:
Originally posted by rpickle
You fill the tubes with the washer fluid? That has to be painstaking! How is it done? Sorry, I seem to be hijacking these treads when the washer fluid talk comes up. Rick
I have heard NAPA carries an adaptor to fill tires through the valve stem. Must take a while...

Larry, i havn't taken pictures of the climbing this year, but i think ive made them higher this year then last. one of them is for sure. i have about 4 banks that i make like that. to the OP. ive had my one of the rear tires apart off the bead and it has resealed fine. just make sure everything is clean, if you can do it where it is warm let it warm up before hand and use soap on the bead when airing it up, will help it seal. the others who have posted also gave you some great advice if the tires are cracked and WW fluid possible to wash it out, if that is the route you want i would go with tubes and fluid. Larry is correct napa has the adaptor anyone who carries i belive milton tools, or lisle i forget which one it is, might be both. do a little checking around. no tubes as of yet. 4 link v bar ice chains in the rear, reverse ags up front. i weigh about 220 normally, plus the weights that are on the tractor. only issue i have is trying to back up concrete drives, two are on inclines.

quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
Quite the bank climber you have there! I think I've been to easy on my Big 10
ya larry, these ol'buggers dont have a conscience . and yes they will climb :D.

thx for the info!!! 42 in dozer blade mounted, im using factory chains and factory weights 2 on each side ill look into tubes, i think that will be best. then make up a bucket to fill them. :)

quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by rpickle
I have heard NAPA carries an adaptor to fill tires through the valve stem. Must take a while...
Tractor Supply Co. has the adapters too.

If you put the tubes in fill them with air first then bleed the air out, hook up the adapter to the bottle and stem turn the bottle upside down and put a small hole in the bottom to aid the filling, if your really impatient and have a blowgun with a small tip you can pressurize the bottle, you will get wet, and don't blow so much that air gets into the tube, just take it slow, you'll end up with heavy tires that won't tear up your differential and still remain soft for mowing in the summer.

I have a old stainless steel pressurized fire extinguisher that i have converted to a tire filler. NAPA and most farm store carrier a tire pop off vale steam unit for around $7 last i saw. The pop off and a small section of garden hose attached to the output of the fire extinguisher I can fill a tire in shore order. My fire extinguisher holds 2 gallon of WF, and about 60 to 70 lbs of air. The first 2 or 4 gallons go right in but to top off the tire as close to full as you can it takes a bit longer to burp the tire of trapped air by using the small pop off valve unit. If your not using a inner tube when filling you need to fill at least enough WF to cover the tire rim on the inside. If not the WF could corrode the metal rim if exposed to air. So totally covering the rim with Fluid will prevent any chance for corrosion. (some disagree that WF is corrosive) I play it safe and don't want to find out over years it will corrode these old rim's. These old style fire extinguishers are getting hard to find. I guess you could use anything that could be sealed and pressurized. The fire extinguisher has a built in air chuck, trigger for opening the pressurized WF and easy big mouth for puring in the WF. Maybe a large liquid lawn sprayer work as well, same principle.