Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hope your tractors are ready..St. Louis

KSever

Weather news prediction tonight said 1-2" of heavy ice and then 12-24" of snow for St. Louis and areas north of St. Louis. They say it's suppose to be the worst storm since 1982. Hope all your tractors are ready for this snow..

One and a half inches of ice on January 7 1998 from here north into Ontario and across Northern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. It took a week to clear trees from the roads and over a month before everyone had power back. A LOT of frozen houses... Wish I had some more pictures. A foot or two of snow on top of it would have nade for... quite a mess.

Yep, wishing I'd bought a cheap generator just in case. I just had the B-110 in the shop this afternoon putting 150lbs of weights and chains on it.

We have seen lots more snow this year than normal. We usually get a few rounds of ice, sometimes pretty heavy. I have my 20K diesel generator for the house, propane furnace and fireplace, and a snowblower for the 620. NUTS might be a good word for me but I like to be prepared.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Yep, wishing I'd bought a cheap generator just in case. I just had the B-110 in the shop this afternoon putting 150lbs of weights and chains on it.
With this kind of storm predicted is just why I rewired my complete house this past year and wired in a generator panel with dedicated circuits for the refrigerator, certain outlets and a few lights. Also built a new wood burning fireplace. Should be ready I hope? Learned my lesson in Wisconsin with having only hot water heat and it had to have electric to run the water circulation pumps. Got the tractors ready to play in the barn. Got the Broadmoor mounted up with the blower, weights and chains. Then for big stuff the Ford NAA with the back blade and loader with 900 lbs. of weight on the back wheels.

My tractor is resting peacefully in the shed. No blower or plow ready for it yet. Not too worried about my small driveway though, more worried about the ice and potential for extended power outages again. When the ice storm hit the STL area in 2006, we were without power for a week, and we live in the middle of town. The outskirts had not power for much longer.

I remember this storm... we got just some of it.. but as you said to the north they were without of power for weeks... you couldn't buy a generator for 100's of miles
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
One and a half inches of ice on January 7 1998 from here north into Ontario and across Northern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. It took a week to clear trees from the roads and over a month before everyone had power back. A LOT of frozen houses... Wish I had some more pictures. A foot or two of snow on top of it would have nade for... quite a mess.
[img]/club2/attach/larry8200/Ice_Storm.jpg[/img]

Just heard on the news they are considering calling in the National Gaurd and closing St.Louis. We just got upgraded to a blizzard warning about 30 minutes ago. Feel like I'm back in Wisconsin!:D Also heard on a News briefing earlier that the Power company has 500 trucks on standby with another 500 on call with options to call in another 1000. I sure hope they're blowing this way out of proportion but it's nice to know they are prepared.

The news has a tendency to sensationalize these things but time will tell. Myself, I'm tired of winter. Next year hopefully I'll have a blower tractor with cab prepared.

The news here just upgraded us to 12-20". I have a full gas can for the tractor. I don't expect to much power issues as we should get all snow, if we were getting ice than I would be worried.

There is more than 2 feet on the ground here now, if we get the 18-22 inches forecast I'll have some good pictures Thursday. Tractors are in the gate, straining at the bit. :D

Here in central il we only have a bunch of ice so far. No wind as of yet. Maybe tomorrow is a good time to go pick up my v-plow. I know I'm not working for a couple days. All 18 wheels are parked till at least Thursday for me. Its going to be a good time to get some work done out in the shop. Will post pics if I get the V-blade.

-------All I got to do is drill some holes and put on my drift cutters on the blower.----- All I have to do is wait for the pictures, it don't snow in interior Alaska.:)

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
-------All I got to do is drill some holes and put on my drift cutters on the blower.----- All I have to do is wait for the pictures, it don't snow in interior Alaska.:)
Marty, are those longer days affecting your snow cover already?;)

Already 4 or 5 inches here and its blowing everywhere. I thought my tractor was ready but I was wrong. Even with 170 lbs extra weight and chains the tractor just slips and slides. Need to adjust the differential for posi-traction.

Chris, I have an extra 200lbs on the back of the Broadmoor with chains and the blower on front and I still spin. That inch of ice under the snow is not fun to deal with on my 600 foot up hill driveway but the Broadmoor is getting a workout. Need to find chains for my Ford NAA, even with almost 900lbs on the rear of it I can't get traction. My neighbor has a 4 wheel drive Kubota that slid off the road this morning while turning around and had to get a truck to pull him out.

Kris, I went back out and gave it another try, managed to do OK as long as I was pushing snow and clearing a path. When just driving through it was when I'd spin the worst.

LoL Went outside a little while ago. About need goggles as the fiecely blowing snow stings the eyes. Wifes Dodge truck has a drift almost up to the top of the tailgate. I fully expect to see no truck in the morning, just a snow drift:D One nice thing is that the wind is blowing in a wide arc around my machine shed, tractor shop. The drifts are staying about 12' away from all the doorsdOd

i think we have about 12-15 already in northern illinois..all snow, no sleet...winds are gusting about 40 -50miles an hour rite now...flat land equals complete blizzard whiteout!!!!!i cleaned out drive an hour ago and u cant even tell!!!!they say another 8-12 still!!!wow!!looks like a lot of snow removal tonite and tomorrow!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Snojetter
    • GregB
    • mbsengineer
    • Chris727
    • simplewrench
    • Darl Swartz
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts