Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K341 Starting Issue

merlinct7

Couldn't start my 916 today. Starter was having trouble turning engine over, got hot enough to smoke, though it would sometimes turn over but not enough to start. Thought it might be a bad starter so swapped it out for a known good starter, no change. Engine will turn over - sometimes, and with difficulty, but more often just clicks. Battery checks out OK , and it seems like I'm getting about 9v at the starter. Any ideas appreciated! Snowstorm AGAIN tonight!

Did you check battery with a load? Maybe a bad end on cable? Try jumping it and see what happens or jump directly to starter that way you bypass solenoid. Does motor seem to turn over ok by hand. Could be a number of things hope this helps.

Just a thought: Does it have winter grade oil in it? Depressing the clutch makes it a little easier to turn over. Can you check battery with a hydrometer? Good Luck

I'll go through the starter circuit tomorrow, too tired from SHOVELING, AAARRRGHHH. A poor ground seems like the most likely problem barring some mechanical issue. Tried jumping it with no improvement. It's a hydro, and I use synthetic 10w40 and that seems to be fine on checking. It has a sealed battery, and I did not check it under load yet, though it's putting out the full voltage unloaded. Thanks for the suggestions. The starting system's not all that complicated so I have high hopes I can get it fixed, as it's supposed to snow again tonight/tomorrow.

You may not like what I am about to say, but I had a similar issue with K301. Ended up being a small light duty spring that is part of the compression release. It had come undone. How, I do not know, but it was off. It is a long thin wire that hooks over part of the mechanism for the release. Unfortunately, to get at it, you have to pull the pan. And they will be a bear to start without the compression release. Hope it is something much simpler, but I speak from my experience as to what it might be.:(! Good luck!

You may also want to check the starter solenoid. I had one of those which had such a large internal resistance that the starter acted like the battery was very low. Replaced the solenoid and it worked great.

Hoping it's not the compression release! Optimistically thinking not because a couple of times I got it to spin almost fast enough to start, but I know anything's possible. Going through my starter circuit connections/grounds today, and I think I have a new solenoid sitting in my shed if needed. Thanks all...