Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign SNowblower Belt

DanD

I converted to a newer Sovereign this winter for blowing snow. The new one of course runs the long belt off from the BGB, while my old one ran off the front PTO. I thought the belt would run a lot longer on the newer one since it runs fairly straight as opposed to the older one that runs around a 90 degree corner. Anyway, I've only used my new one a few times (we had one major snow and a few small ones) but the belt is already all stretched out (i have the rear idler back as far as it can go and the belt is now too loose) and running sideways in the pulleys. Is there some secret to getting long life from this belt? The belt for the mower deck runs for years, while the blower belt only ran for days. Heck, the belt on my old Sovereign with the the front PTO ran a lot longer than this. Can't replace the belt this often at over $50 a pop. ANy suggestions?

Get an a144 from napa, its the same as simplicty. It has the ha rating to drive both ways over a pulley. Guys will tell you that you need the simplicity belt and I used to be the same way. Since running on for a few years I am a believer. Its the rating that matters. That being said I have no idea why you have so much stretch. You have the 5 inch pulley that moves to take up slack. If your out of adjustment thats about it. Could you have an alighnment problem? Just a thought.

With the exception of furnace blower black belts 3L's, 4L's and 5L's, today's power rated belts hardly stretch at all a due to the better backing, Kevlar brand fabric. Double check your pulley diameters for starts.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a 7" pulley on the blower, I moved the front idler to the other position as required for the snowblower, and when I was all done, the adjustment guage was in the front red area as it tells in the instructions. I really don't know what happened here, but I know that my belt is shot already. I'll try the belt from NAPA...one question though....you said to get an A144 belt from NAPA. WOuldn't that be a 144" belt? I know the specs for the Simplicity belt is 147". WOuld the 3" shorter belt fit even if the rear idler was adjusted all the way forward?

A144 belt is actually 146 in long. That is the way those belts are identified. The actual size is stamped on the packaging sleeve. There is enough room to accommodate the one inch shorter belt.

The problem is NOT the belt. The problem is in your setup. . Do you have correct hitch for the mid pto? do you have the correct position of pullies at mid pto? Was the tension set correctly ?

I have a Simplicity belt on my Allis Chalmers 916H, with the correct hitch with the one pulley, and I dont have a problem with the belt stretching at all. The two idlers I dont have to move at all, because thay are just used for the blower(no mower deck). Then a tiller goes on in the summer.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
The problem is NOT the belt. The problem is in your setup. . Do you have correct hitch for the mid pto? do you have the correct position of pullies at mid pto? Was the tension set correctly ?
Yes, I have the correct hitch for the mid PTO. I actually went to my dealer and ordered the kit that included the single pulley hitch, the belt and the longer lift rod needed for the newer Sovereign as compared to my old 7016. I changed the front idler pulley to the lower position and installed the belt guide that came with the kit, and then I moved the rear idler back so that the tension guage was in the front red section as instructed in the manual.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
You are running a 7100 and not a 7000 series right?
I have a very late Sovereign...I think a 2000 model.

The rear edge of the idler bracket should be in the front edge of the front red area. The tension is adjusted using V pulley B and is applied using backside flat idler pulley G with the tension spring. A a144 belt from napa IS NOT THE SAME AS A Simplicity belt. Adjusted properly I have had a Simplicity belt last over 8 years with an average of 250 hours of blower use per year. The belt can not touch the sides of the backside idlers F & G and must go into pulley C at the top & the bottom of pulley B as straight as possible. The Belt stop/guides D, E & H can not touch the belt at any time. A bad idler pulley bearing B, f & G can also cause alot of problems and tear up a belt.

The only thing I can think of is you got a bad belt...somehow its started life way too long to begin with. If everything else is correct then thats the only thing is can be... Just for the heck of it, release tension on the belt and check up front on the drive from the sprocket. There is an adjustment on the pipe that has a grease fitting. I have seen them lose and badly worn a few times. That is literally the last thing in the loop. Good luck.

UCD, it operates exactly the same and has the same life. Your updated post is better. The front red just outside of the green is the best. I used to put it in the leading green like you had said before and it never really hit the governer. Once I put it tighter it did and blew snow much better.

The pipe/shaft adjustment is for tension on the chain and if slid back to tighten the chain the pulley side should be moved an equal amount to keep shaft and driven pulley square with the belt. If the driven pulley is not in alignment with idler F and the belt rides the side of the driven pulley will also wear a belt and cause it to roll.
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
It has the ha rating to drive both ways over a pulley.
HA is not a rating it is a belt cross section size designation see chart below.

I had an idler bracket with the tang for the snowblower position apparently bent a little wrong. It doesn't take much. When I replaced the bracket, everthing worked fine.