Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What got you started?

SimplicitySwede

my dad had a murray that my brother and i would plow our driveway with..lol..he rebuilt the trans about 3 times because of us..lol..the only way to move snow with one of those is to put it in 5th and let'er rip!!!anyhow, he got a 6111 with a blower and a tiller...we were amazed at how well it worked and he was happy because we couldnt tear it up...after i bought my first house i was looking for a good riding mower...i saw a 4211 sitting in some weeds by a guys shed for sale...i stopped by and gave him 50bux for it...i got it home not knowing what the[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]it was and my dad laughed and said lets get busy...we worked on that thing for 2 months and he worked on even if i wasnt there...that thing was like new when we were done and i learned quite a few things along the way...once i had that machine i found this website..once i started looking at all the pictures and saw how nice everybody was i became hooked...from that tractor i will run down the list of tractors i have had or still do in order, its funny as you can see how i progresed!lol!:4211,4212,5116,6116,6216,6216,2012,3012 with loader,7012,b-10,b-10,deere 140h3, deere 140h3 with johnson loader, 7117, 95 sunstar,deere 420with kohler command 20 repower, deere 420 with 24horse honda repower,a3212v and a craftsman i picked up for the brother in law, not to mention a zillion different attachments...after typing all that i cant believe i have had that many tractors...I'm sure my wife can though!!!lol...anyhow, my brother(peterinbrooklyn) always used to make fun of me for doing all this stuff and now look at him, he is almost as bad as me!!!my dad has helped me turn a wrench on almost every single one of these tractors and really enjoys working on them..and of course he enjoys using them as well...heck i even got him a 19horse motor for his 6111 we put in with some parts i had...i woulda never had guessed i would've enjoyed a hobby as much as this one!!!!:D

I had tractors before, just old Sears jobs to cut the grass on our 5 acres. I finally bought a new one, and, well, I didn't like it. When we moved, I took the old tractors with me and left the new one for the new owner. Those two old sears are gone, and I bought a JD to cut grass about 6 years ago. The JD cuts grass nicer than anything I ever had before, but I honestly don't think it can push or pull anything. Those little back wheels spin at the drop of a hat. We're on an 1 acre now, so the grass cutting only takes about an hour. But it just wasn't, well, fun. We have a sizable driveway, which I did with a walk-behind snowblower. I retired last November and decided to find a tractor with very big back wheels and a snow plow. To me, the secret of traction and power is those big back wheels, and the relatively small hp engines. I found a Homelite T-10 on CL. Never heard of them. But it has big back wheels! Pushes snow like all get out! Then I found SimpleTrACtors; what a wealth of knowledge and nice people! Then I found out the T-10 is fairly rare! Then I found and got all the parts to mount a snowblower on the front of the T-10! Then another member found me a Homelite T-12, for free! This, for me is truly fun. I told my wife of 35 years that when I retired I wanted a Harley, a ponytail, and an earing. Well, you know the look I got after that remark. So I settled for two old tractors. And I'm old enough to know what "points" are, and how to adjust a carburetor. I'm not afraid of the inside of a Delco starter generator either. I am scared of the hydraulics on the T-12, but I know I can get answers right here. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I still want an earing }:)

• 3 weeks later...
The tractor satisfies many needs. Mostly, it was for work I needed to do on my 1-acre yard. Landscaping, tilling, plowing, and hauling crap around. I also missed my VW days (I built a dune buggy in high school and had it for years) and kinda wanted something to tinker on. I wanted to help out in the neighborhood (I now snow-blow paths to my neighbors' houses). I wanted to give tractor rides to the kids during our annual Halloween neighborhood festival. (Now I have my own and it's an even bigger deal!)

Actually my first mower(s) was Murray Rider. Spent more time putting big washers on that thing to keep it together where the thin tin kept ripping out. Traded it for a 4208 36" that got small for me and also went cause I needed a snowblower. In succession -1450 Cub, 446 Case, 1 448 Case, 1 448 Ingersoll, 99 Landlord deluxe 50", 42" blower, Prestige 1, 23-54 and 42 two stage blower, and then 27-54 Prestige and 46 single stage blower. Collection system on all three, wouldn't be without. Since then we have added 446 Case, 18hp Sovereign, abd a 1920H Agco Allis. Want to trade the Sovereign for a power steering model. Son has problems with his hand and would work better. Also looking for one non-Simplicity, a Massey Ferguson X320 which was built by Ingersoll before Massey went to Simplicity. Grew up on a farm and we always mowed the yard with a push mower. Mowed my first home with a push mower too. Moved and the yard was too big so I bought the Murray. Almost had a Homelite but this mechanic never got around to fixing it, too many others and chainsaws so would up with the Murray. GLAD when this went and as they say the rest is history!!

My first lawn mower was a ranch king (what a pile of:||)Then my father inlaw bought a 627 yeoman that I wanted to buy from him but he wouldn't sell it. So I decided to find my own,that was 10 years ago and now I have about 23 tractors and a pile of attachments.And oh yeah I did end up with his 627, he stored it in our barn and never used it so now its mine.

As most of you, I always took to anything mechanical or assembled and got into this addiction by dumb luck. I was at my uncle's house who as i was growing up helped feed my addiction of cars, cycles and hotrods since he was always working on them and he had an old I mean old simplicity he was bitching about. He started talking about getting rid of it and getting a new one. I am probably more cheap than most people, and I could not believe he was going to just get rid of it and go buy something new. So when i told him I thought it was cool and I would keep it, he said that I could have it. Well, that 69 Yeoman was the start. I always wanted a to have a tractor when i grew up and realizations made it seem that I would never get the chance, but when I got that first Simplicity I said this would have to do and have been hooked ever since. They are like minature farm tractors, at least the older ones are. I have over an acre now and picked up the old 79 Sovereign to help with yard duties and the driveway. If I had the room I would have kept that old Yeoman, but I had to let it go and regret it most times. Currently I have the deck and a blower for the front(blower is actually a Homelite brand). I would like to find a tiller, single bottom plow, and a front brush mower for it in the future.

I started with 100 dollar 2012 that was stored for 15 years in the back og the garage. Figured for an acre of land that the 100 bucks was better then walking. I abused it and still have it today... Then the 7016, 17gth-l, and droves of others. Now I have most of the attachments I want and can work them like no tomorrow. Finally have a 1964 landlord that I will tear into. Thats gonna be the toy...