Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blind troubleshoot - 912 hydro losing reverse

Simpleton7016

I backed into a basketball pole this morningpretty fast. Actually, the wheel weight nailed it so no body damage. Slowly over the course of the next few hours, my reverse slowed to almost nothing. I am way to frozen to go out there and find out the cause, but I am thinking it is just a spring or something. Other thoughts before I fire up the torpedo heater later tonight? Other: no leaking fluid, forward speeds and horsepower unaffected, no clunks or squeals or squeaks.

I think Burntime had similar problem and result was the 1/2" nut fastening the link on the travel lever was loose and needed to be tightened.

Yep Bob, forward had more speed, reverse was slowed. It also had a wierd catch-up type of feeling. I think it had a beleview (sp) washer and nut on the bottom and someone had the washer on the wrong side of the bracket so it was alwxays catching a small portion instead of the entire bracket. A new bracket and nut solved it eventually...

Ding ding! All correct. Ice on the linkage...don't know how it started, but probably jarred a chunk loose from elsewhere when I hit the pole. Back up and running with a little propane torch....I miss my cab....but plowing is definitely more fun than snowblowing.