Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

homemade cab questions

mike_sdak

Hello. Blowing snow has got me thinking of making a cab. (Or buying one, if one becomes available around here). It looks like a soft-side cab would be pretty simple to make, per the project shown in the Tech articles. I also saw PeppyDan's nice hard cab. That would be very nice, but I don't know how it would work in the summer time. A few questions, for cab owners: 1. If I bought or made a soft-side cab, would it need to be stored inside (while mounted)? I currently keep the tractors outside. 2. How would a soft side stand up to, say 40 Mph winds? 3. How would you modify your current cab to improve it? Just thinking this thru a bit. It could be a long time before I would ever tackle making a cab.

In 40 mile and hour winds it would move some but mine mounts in 6 places. How often are there 40 mile an hour winds when you blow snow? If often I do not want to live there!:D You usually mount your cab before you need it (unless you procrastinate like me) so temp is not usually an issue. I do not think it would be bad to mount it in 25 degrees. Its one of those things, once you do it you will wonder how you did without it.

Had My tractor with cab on it in my trailer last year to go take care of the In-Laws drive. Didn`t go over 40 miles an hour:D. It made it with no problems. I wouldn`t want to do that to often. You won`t see those kind of winds to often though. If you can store inside it probably would be better. I don`t think the UV light is good on that clear vinyl for long periods of time, But you could always throw a tarp over it.

Mike, don’t be afraid to make your own cab no matter what it looks like. You will be glad you have a cab. Here are two links on this site of what I did and I am no fabricator so as the post says, don’t laugh. At least I am not a human snow cone anymore. I stay warm and I don’t care what anyone may think while I’m using it. As I remember it comes off with 5 bolts but I don’t take it off because I use it only for that purpose. However having said that, you would NEVER find me out in a 40 mph wind even if I had a factory built one. There are two things I would do different although it does work fine as is. Those are 1. I would make my side and rear windows a little larger and the “pouch” in the back that allows my seat to come up and down I would make a little larger. I can get to my engine and battery with no problem for service. Anyhow here are the pictures if you want to see them. First link is my frame work. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=107970 Second is the finished cab covered with a cheap tarp from HF. (it works and didn’t cost but about $8.00 for the tarp) http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=107987 I hope this will either encourage you to build your own or tremble in fear and buy a factory one. Larry :D

I built my own, hard top, soft sides. Mounts with four bolts. I had it out in 30+ winds, the cab was fine, but I made the mistake of opening the door when the wind could catch it. I didnt have anything to stop it from swinging all the way around, and it bent the hinges a bit when it hit the end. Otherwise I love mine. I bought the vinyl, both black and clear for windows, at an awning shop. They told me the vinyl is uv resistant and should last at least 10 years if outside all the time. Can't prove that, it is only one year old. The process of how I did mine is here somewhere, you should be able to see the pics and maybe get a few ideas. There are many, many ways to go at it, and none are wrong if you are dry when you are done blowing! One other thing, I didn't pay too much attention to very small gaps where door meets side, etc., and have learned that snow can come in thru the smallest ones, so keep it tight if you can. Steve

quote:
Originally posted by mike_sdak
I also saw PeppyDan's nice hard cab. That would be very nice, but I don't know how it would work in the summer time. A few questions, for cab owners: 1. If I bought or made a soft-side cab, would it need to be stored inside (while mounted)? I currently keep the tractors outside. 2. How would a soft side stand up to, say 40 Mph winds? 3. How would you modify your current cab to improve it? Just thinking this thru a bit. It could be a long time before I would ever tackle making a cab.
You are correct about it not working well in the summer at least for my cab. I have a tractor dedicated to the blower and cab so I don't need to mess with removing it for summer use. As someone else mentioned about there rear window, make the windows as large as you can and try to get visibility towards the ground as much as you can. Once you have a cab you will wonder how you did without! Dan

If there is a company in your area that makes and repairs vinyl tarps for semi dump trailers, talk to them about making the coverings after you make a frame. When I was entertaining this idea I checked and found they were very reasonable and could put any size windows in. Good Luck with your project.

I have a golf cart cover and have sometimes wondered if I could fabricate a frame for it to fit on my 7117 with snowthrower. Has anyone tried this with good results? Thanks.

My wifes cousin made this one and gave it to me when he moved up to a bigger tractor. It isn't the fanciest but I love the visibility and the tilt back feature makes it very easy to get on and off of the tractor.

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
My wifes cousin made this one and gave it to me when he moved up to a bigger tractor. It isn't the fanciest but I love the visibility and the tilt back feature makes it very easy to get on and off of the tractor.
[img]/Club2/attach/Cvans/1568qvs.jpg[/img]

What is that constructed from, it looks like plexiglass & aluminum. I like the concept. Dan

It is light. The clear part is clear vinyl that comes in the rolls. The white that you see on the edges is double sided foam tape. The bottom and top of the frame is that hardware store perforated angle iron. This is probably 14 gauge x one inch. The diagonals in the front and back are some kind of sheet metal u-channel. The uprights and diagonals on the sides are 1/2" EMT with the ends flattened and bent. Then they are drilled so small bolts can go through them. I covered the back with coro-plast sign board. with a window. The top is covered with 24 gauge sheet metal and small self drilling sheet metal screws. The strobe light is optional:D. If you need more pictures let me know.There is a piece of 1/2" aluminum conduit hanging on the back. It is hinged at the top and when the cab is tipped back the conduit swings out and supports the cab. All of these material are available at home supply centers. This is how a carpenter builds a metal cab and I think he did a great job. You don't want to make it too tight or you will have problems with fogging inside. Sure is nice to watch all of that snow when it slides down the windows and none is getting on medOd

Hey Chris- Is the cab mounted to the frame or fender deck in any fashion? Your cab sure looks like a simple solution, but that may be all that is required in this case.

Mike, it is mounted on a 4 x 4 that runs across the back of the fender pan. Two hinges attach the cab to the 4 x 4. I had it on a Sovereign before this and the 4 x 4 wasn't needed. The hood is higher on the 7117 so I had to raise the back of the cab. This cab actually started life up near Aberdeen. :)

Chris, I am sure winter near watertown this year is not much different than up here - much snow and much cold. It was -29 here yesterday AM.

I'm going to build a partial cab next fall for my landlord. I have an idea of just buying a simplicity snow blower cab, then just building the frame for it to fit. I only want three sides anyways.

Cvans. They have a top, two sides, and a front. Just not a back portion. I'll have to look into it more next fall, no funds for it right now anyways.

[img]/club2/attach/SethL007/D200.jpg[/img]
Here is a homeade cab i got with this wheelhorse (i know its no simplicity or allis), its just tough to use one of my allis tractors when i have this cab on the wheelhorse. I have decided that ANY cab is better than no cab!!

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
That's sharp Willy. Nice Job.dOd Makes mine look pretty crude. Do you have a door on the other side?
I should have posted a pix of the other side,it has a large door so I can get my large butt in.:D I used it today temp.was abour 30 deg. I wore a sweatshirt and could feel the heat comming through the back window.