Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

new 416H broken rod

sammiefish
I picked up a new 416H... thrown rod... : ( the tractor: nice sheet metal... fenders mint, seat, excellent:

Kohler K341 16HP

threw a rod... crank seems undamaged

skirt has some damage.. maybe dead block... very sad..

BAD ROD !!!!

well, this is the new project... dont know if i can save the block or not... have th MF16 block that looks like it will go in.. pan and all.. and still have the front pto...!! any thoughts are very welcome.. lend a hand if you can!!

sovereign72
I have run chevy 350 and 400 race engines with chips in the bottom of the cylinders from broken rods as long as the cylinder can still properly support the piston skirt and the skirt wont catch the bad spot in the cylinder.

sammiefish
anyone have an opinion on limiting size of chip... trouble is the 341's have off center cyl to accommodate CID. but i think the tough side is on the "good side" of this cyl I guess that is the question is this a side that will catch the piston skirt?

jasper
There is a lot I can't see however I would think that the rings stop several inches above the chip in the bore by the looks of the picture. It looks like plenty of support to me, but then again I am not paying for the machine work or the motor if it fails. It is free advise and worth ever penny you paid for it!

larry8200
I would want to see where the piston skirt is in relation to the damaged area at the bottom of the stroke. You should be able to do that on the bench with the broke rod pieces. I think I might try it if I could put it back together just honing the cylinder and new rod, rings and gaskets. I think I'd rather find a good used engine than put $300 plus into a complete rebuild on that one. What did Jasper say: "It is free advise and worth ever penny you paid for it!" Good Luck, tough decision.