Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower for Simplicity Landlord

bgeoffreyburnham

You must also make sure the belt is correct, and the tension spring (if there is one) is properly attached and applying the proper tension to the belt. Like you, I got all the parts of the puzzle last year, but no more snow to try it out. Today was the first day here in Central PA that you could use the snowblower. And again, like you, it ran two feet and blocked, over and over again. I have the front pto, so it's a bit different than yours, but my tension spring is too small to go where it's supposed too, and to big to work properly where I have it attached. I think it was from the tractor the blower originally came from, which was the mid pto, like yours. So, off with the blower and on with the plow. I enjoyed plowing, and everything looks pretty good when I'm done. I was disappointed about the blower but I'll get it right. These guys on this site are the best. One more quick story: My throttle cable stopped working with about another hour of work left. Stuck at about 1/3rd throttle. Kept plowing anyway, pushing snow up about 5 feet high, at one third throttle!:D:D:D They are tough machines, and they like to work. Have fun with your tractor, that's really the main point. Welcome to the club.

If the snow is the heavy, wet type, it tends to clog the chute more than the fluffy, dry type. I've heard cooking spray used in the chute will help.

They has this gimicky snow blower lubricant on sale at Lowes last year, so I (always willing to see how far I can throw snow) thought I would give it a try. The stuff actually works pretty good, though it's no substitute for a good clean/waxed paint job inside the chute and auger. Just keep feeding the auger it should pull through. Post some pictures, maybe that'll help us figure things out for you.

When I had my Landlord I had to do two things--my hitch had the little crank handle to the back for adjusting belt tension and for some reason it kept working loose so I had to put a small bunge cord on it to keep it from turning. The second thing I did and I'm not recommending for anyone to do it is to remove the guard in the top of the schute thats supposed to prevent stone and Ice chunks from flying out. Once removed no more plugging up. with correct belt and proper tension it should throw snow as far as you want it too.

HELP!!!!! Okay, here is what happened... yesterday we had a big snowstorm. By the time I got home from work the town plows had done such a nice job blocking my driveway in that when I tried to run my car up the driveway, I only succeeded in getting the car stuck in the middle. I got out my Landlord and figured I would give it another try blowing the snow... I was thrilled.. it shot the snow 13-20 ft until I got to the end of the driveway where either the warmth of the street, or chemicals made the snow so sticky it clogged the chute..no big deal. After finishing my driveway I went to do the same for some elderly neighbors... at some point I became aware that the hydraulic lift wasn't working correctly... when I got home I left it in my wife's side since she is in NJ visiting her parents. This morning I went to find out the problem with the lift..:( the "U" shaped part of the lift extension that rotates on the shaft that the undercarriage is attached to had come off... in doing so, and not knowing that was the problem, when I had tried to lift it, it twisted the hydraulic cylinder, kinking the hydraulic hose fitting, and deforming the lift extension plate!!!!!WHAT A MESS... worse, now I have to figure out how in the next few hours I am going to get the tractor out of the garage so my wife can pull in when she gets home... after that I will have to try to reshape the lift extension plate. Apparently I will also have to buy a new hydraulic cylinder too... sigh.. in the meantime I do have the manual lift lever that came with the snowblower assembly when I bought it used.. but I have no idea how it attaches or even if it will attach to my unit since I do have the hydraulic lift... does anyone have any instructions for attaching the manual lift assembly and whether I can do that to my unit, at least until I get new parts???? Thanks guys... In Steep DO DO, Geoff

Update: I strapped a furniture mover dolly to the underside of the blowerhead, used my walk behind blower to clear a path to my storage shed and was able to move the tractor/blower out of the garage into the storage area-- one problem resolved. I took some pictures of the parts I have that are for the manual lift in case anyone can tell me how or if I can use this instead of the hydraulic lift until I get the parts and fix the hydraulic lift. However, I am not sure how to post pictures.. its been a year since I did that and I don't see the link or option for posting photos ( I renewed my paid membership this morning, although I am not sure my membership had lapsed or not yet which might explain why I can't post pictures yet) Geoff

Post pix: from the "format" bar in the quick reply screen, pick the paper clip thing. It's the last icon on the row. Files must be about 100kb. Don't use any special characters in the names. Here's two pages from the attachment manual, showing the lift arm, and the parts numbers. Lift arm is part 32

Here are the pictures( thanks Bob for the answer to uploading pix). It shows the deformed lift extension plate which if I take apart I think I can get it straightened out, and the parts I have from the old unused mechanical lift, and the other part from the hydraulic lift that I believe is used for both the mechanical and hydraulic lift... suggestions are welcome... Thanks Geoff

That last piece is a pain to figure out how to orientate it. I played for 15 monutes before it made sense... You should be able to straighten it relatively close with out a problem. My landlord with 23hp command ran thru the snow awesome so far....

This should be the installation manual needed. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEAGP_dsK1tG6Exj7mRgtLvBCd6

I don't even use that lift rod. I use the same piece of flat stock with holes drilled in it that the PO made for use with the plow. It goes from the lift lever on the tractor to the arm on the right side of the blower where the chute swivel control arm connects. (They don't call it an Armstrong lift for nothing:D)

Thanks guys for all your help.. I will first try to get the lift bracket extension plate back in alignment and THEN try to figure out why it came off the axle it was pivoting on..makes no sense why it came off.. once that happened, it was doomed....Thanks for the manual Ray, that was the right one and very helpful. However, the instructions and diagrams were a bit short on how to connect the manual lift assembly onto the tractor, but hope on Tuesday, my next day off, that getting under it will help me to figure it out..I took a brief look this morning before heading to work, and think that I will have to disconnect a hydraulic hose clamp from my current set up to accommodate the plate but not sure yet... and then there is the matter of whether or not to replace the hydraulic piston and hose... to my exam it looks a bit kinked and I am afraid that it will not allow the normal full flow of fluid that it would if it were not kinked. Also, wondering if anyone knows whether or not I can just replace the hydraulic fitting going into the piston or if it has to be replaced as an assembly. The piston itself appears intact, its just the connection between the hose and fitting that looks like it is now at 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree angle.... I appreciate all your help and support and am looking forward to getting this up and working again... thanks guys... geoff

A faster ground speed is needed for the 2-3" snowfalls. Even the wet, heavy stuff. Keep the hopper loaded and the engine working. You'll know when fast is too fast. You'll be amazed at how much slop you can pump through these blowers.

quote:
Originally posted by bgeoffreyburnham
Also, wondering if anyone knows whether or not I can just replace the hydraulic fitting going into the piston or if it has to be replaced as an assembly. The piston itself appears intact, its just the connection between the hose and fitting that looks like it is now at 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree angle.... I appreciate all your help and support and am looking forward to getting this up and working again... thanks guys... geoff
According to the parts illustration, the hydraulic fittings are re-usable. If the Simplicity dealer doesn't have it, this company should. You will need to bring the old fitting with you as the hose dealer probably doesn't have a cross over number. http://www.omniservices.com/default.aspx?page=customer&file=customer/omsein/customerpages/locations.htm

Hi guys, Update time.. but before I get to that. I wonder what your feelings might be regarding starting a new section on this website where tractor owners can report stupid things they have done...Of course I would have to nominate myself as the chief contributor but I trust I can keep such a section well stocked with stories... starting with tonight.. for those of you following my plight, I recently installed my snowblower on my LandLord.. in my defense I will say that I got the snowblower only last winter and while I did get it installed last year, I never got to use as it never snowed again after I bought it. Last week I re-installed it only to have the hydraulic lift malfunction after using it for a couple of hours on an elderly neighbor's house. The Lift extension plate came right off the shaft assembly, and when I tried the lift the next time, it deformed the Lift extension plate and the some other hardware... NOW I know why it came off .. but in the interest of hopefully preventing others from making the same mistake I did, I will now disclose WHY the extension plate came off... in my haste to install it, I removed the shaft assembly so I could install the rear hitch bracket and then put the shaft back in... opps, did I mention I forgot to re-install the Tractor Lift arm assembly back on the shaft????... Now that you have stopped laughing, the truly amazing thing was that I did have the hydraulic lift work about 10 times with the lift extension plate rotating around the smaller shaft instead of on the tractor lift arm.. before it came off.... Today I managed to straighten out the bent hardware, and with some prodding and leverage managed to get it assembled correctly again.. and it still works!!!... I ended up not having to install any new hydraulic fittings either.. I thought it was only fair since everyone here was so helpful to let you know the old adage still holds true, when in doubt, read the directions!!! Thanks guys and let me know if you need someone to handle a new section on this website of "stupid tractor Tricks" Geoff